Thirty-Three

Harry.

The rusted clock that hung limply on the wall read that it was just past three in the morning. My entire body felt fatigued, dead inside, numb, but my mind continued to sabotage my once undisturbed thoughts to morbid images. The continuous picture of teeth ripping into flesh, tearing meat apart from bones, murder... it's all becoming too much. Every fibre in my body has been consumed by this fear that's not just affecting me mentally but physically too.

It seems so selfish, not to mention childish to ask someone to hold you. But that someone not being just anyone, no. She's always so caring. So loving, affectionate, willing to go against her ways for others especially me and I feel as though I've taken it for granted.

3:10am.

I watch the dreaded hand of the clock move, ticking softly with every passing second. The longer I stare the more focused I become. After two full minutes the longest hand slightly rotates clock ways.

3:12am.

My hands suddenly felt numb and subconsciously I found myself tightening my fingers to form a fist and repeating the action again and again. The growls of wolves from the night of my transformation still played through my mind as if it has happened merely minutes ago. Everything was a complete blur. My father's voice was my only guide, he inflicted pain upon me so I would obey his commands, and even controlled my movement.

I shut my eyes tightly, crossing my arms and laying my head against them. My back was bent in an odd position. The chair's height was irregular and not precise according to the table's but that was honestly the least of my worries. I've been fighting this urge, this urge to succumb to the darkness, to the voices in my head that are gradually becoming louder and louder.

Join us, they always say. The voices are unfamiliar but recurring. At first they were light whispers but sometimes they overtake my senses, my need for control. They overpower me with their words. Join us.

My hands joined together, fingers entwining to form a large fist as I shut my eyes and thought of one thing. My mother's necklace. Although the distance I could feel the power it radiates. Spiritually its connection to me is powerful but I am yet to control the so called powers I have. I feel my fingers spasm as I recall memories of holding the item, twirling the chain through my fingers. The original greyness is alive with colour only if it senses my presence no matter where I am or how far away.

I imagine the feel of it in my palm, the intricate designs and the simple clouded stone speckled with white. A sudden light weight was felt in my entwined hands, and once I pulled my fingers apart I watched the necklace rest in between my fingers - the chain pooling down onto the table. A smile formed at my lips but I was otherwise too exhausted to express any other emotion. It was a dull orange, almost yellow, but not as bright as you would expect it to be. The colour was set in stone as if it was its original colour and for some reason I wanted to share my thoughts with Cassandra. I feel...happy, excited... accomplished.

These emotions feel so foreign right now. With their long absence it's a little difficult to understand what just to do when I am feeling this way. I rub away the tiredness from my eyes and with little effort fail to keep myself from succumbing to sleep, but I realise that I don't have to once I feel a gentle hand on my shoulder.

She stands behind me, scratching her scalp lightly with a tired smile. Her eyes are barely open, concealing the beautiful blue that always shimmer in the darkness.

"Come to bed," she whispered, lightly tugging on my shirt.

I didn't have it in me to decline her offer so I allowed her to pull me from the seat and followed her up the stairs with our fingers tangled in each other's. The Opal necklace hung loosely in my free hand, swinging with our movement. As we entered the bedroom two single beds are vacant whereas the other was occupied with none other than Liam who was sprawled all over the mattress with the blanket half on the floor, and his leg high up against the wall.