Chapter 3

*Skyli's POV*

Wyatt was great with Grace. One day and you could already see that he was falling in love with her. It was quite something to watch as the asshole's hard exterior slowly peel away. He knew exactly what to do when it came to Grace, and he taught me. He showed me how to change her diaper properly so she wouldn't get diaper rash. Or at least, he was trying to teach me properly.

"Where is your mom?" He asked, out of the blue as his hands guided mine. I only shrugged and closed up the diaper. Wyatt let go and I snapped the buttons of the onesie back on Grace

"She was on a date yesterday. Meaning she could be anywhere right now," I explained. Wyatt threw the dirty diaper away and picked up Grace. He baby talked her briefly before turning his attention back to me.

"She disappears on you a lot I take it?" He asked. I nodded.

"Well she leaves me alone so I couldn't care less," I shrugged. It was quiet for a moment as Wyatt just rocked Grace.

"Do you ever think of what we will do if Gracie's mother doesn't come back?" I asked softly as I went to go sit on the couch. He followed and sighed.

"The right thing to do would be to turn her into the system," he answered. My eyes widened slightly and I started shaking my head. I couldn't let that happen. Not to Gracie.

"But I was never one for doing the right thing," he said with a small smile. I let out a breath of relief and shook my head at him.

"You scared me," I said bumping his shoulder gently. He laughed and shrugged.

"Gracie already has me wrapped around her tiny finger. I couldn't turn her in," Wyatt admitted. I turned and kissed his cheek gently.

"Thank you," I said with a soft smile before I went to the kitchen. I pulled a few ingredients out of the fridge and cabinets and got started on dinner. Wyatt came in a few moments later and say Grace in the high chair.

"Are you sure that you'll be okay taking care of Gracie by yourself while I'm at school?" I asked him as I closed the lid to creation and stuck the full pan of enchiladas in the stove. He sat across the bar from me and smiled a genuine smile.

"We'll be fine. You shouldn't worry. It's going to drive you crazy," he said. I sighed and placed my hands on my hips as I tried to calm down.

"I'm sorry. I'm just worried. What if you get tired and fall asleep and Gracie suffocates in her sleep or something?" I said in a slight panic. Wyatt came around the island and rubbed my arms gently.

"Look at me," he said softly. "We're going to be fine," he assured me. I sighed and closed my eyes briefly.

"Okay," I finally agreed softly. "But I want text updates," I compromised. Wyatt laughed and shook his head at me.

"You even act like her mother," he said. I only shrugged. I cared about Grace, what was wrong with that? I was about to get offensive when Wyatt stopped me. "It's hard not to care for Gracie. I care about her too," he said softly. I smiled lightly at him. I don't know why but I hugged him. All the stress of the last two days was starting to crash down on me. I closed my eyes and let out a breath as Wyatt hugged me back.

"Everything is going to be fine. You'll see," Wyatt said calmly as he rubbed my back.

*Wyatt's POV*

It was weird hugging Skyli, but the weird part was that I enjoyed it. She was warm and comfortable. It was hard to think that we used to be at each other's throats every time we saw each other. I cleared my throat and let go of her. When I started to realize that I was enjoying her touch a little too much. We'd both gotten more relaxed about touching. It made me uncomfortable even knowing that it was just a reflex to her. She was a naturally kind and caring person after all.

"We should figure out what the plan is for tomorrow," I said, trying to change the subject. Skyli nodded and moved to where Grace was peacefully sleeping.

"Well, for starters, I don't have a car right now and I don't even know if my mom will be back this week, so I may need a ride to school," she listed off. Together, we sat at the table and planned out everything that would need to get done tomorrow for myself and Gracie. I would be fine with Gracie by myself. I was less panicked about it than Skyli. She worried like a real mother would be. By the time we got it all figured out, the food was ready. We ate our dinner before I offered to get Grace ready for bed. I was better at it anyway. 

"I'm just going to go grab a few things from my house," she said. I sighed as I was left alone with Grace. I fixed her a bottle and got to work feeding her and burping her. By the time I finished giving her a bath and laying her in my bed for the night, Skyli was back. She had a small duffle bag and a backpack with her. Her hair was wet and she was already in a tank top and shorts with a jacket over it. She sighed and plopped down gently on the bed. Her eyes closed almost immediately. I gave Grace my finger as Skyli curled her small frame around the baby in a manner of protection.

"Goodnight Wyatt... Goodnight Gracie," she muttered sweetly before she was out. I chuckled lightly before I kissed Gracie's head gently.

"Goodnight girls," I said softly. Tomorrow was going to be a long day. I had a feeling my days of leisure and peace were gone with the arrival of these two girls. The funniest part was, I didn't mind the trouble nearly as much as I thought I would.