Chapter Twenty Six

Daisuke's plan sucked.

We had no intel on these guys, on Shri's powers, on Katasho's strength, on anything, and yet he wanted to dive head first into the fight.

Okay, so it wasn't quite diving headfirst, but it was still risky, still rash.

"Hey, if we make it through this alive, you totally owe me a kiss for coming up with such an awesome plan," Daisuke grins.

"In your dreams," I hiss back, "can't we concentrate on the mission?"

"Alright. Now remember, I'm going to be transformed into the kunai that you throw towards him. He thinks you're weak, for some reason, so he won't question it when you miss. Then I'll be behind them. I'll take Katasho out, and while he's distracted you'll have the opportunity to get Shri."

"You seem to have forgotten how easily he took me down during the prelims," I remind him.

"Yeah, but I think I've figured that out. Every time he's used it he's been looking his victim right in the eye. I think he needs some sort of connection: physical, eye contact, whatever. So you should keep your eyes shut, and make a genjutsu so it seems like they're open. Can you do that?"

"Go in blind with a genjutsu making it seem as though I can see, then throw these kunai way over their heads so you can sneak up from behind. I think I got it," I recite.

"Well, at least it shouldn't be too hard for you to miss with the kunai," he jibes jokingly.

"Hey! I resent that!" I laugh. Then the mood sombers. "Alright. Let's do this."

I take one last glance around the corner to memorize their positions before nodding to Daisuke. As he rolls the smoke bombs out I do the handsigns, closing my eyes. "Are your eyes closed?" Daisuke asks. I smirk in response. "Right."

I hear the slight puff as he transforms. Grabbing several kunai, I stand and turn the corner just as the smoke bombs go off. Immediately I throw the kunai, aiming high and wide. I try not to show the relief when I don't hear any clangs of metal on metal, meaning none got deflected.

"Ah, Fuzen, so glad you could join us. Seems as though I have bait, now. I see you haven't gotten any stronger," Shri calls out, the smirk evident in his voice.

"I see you haven't gotten any less assholeish," I respond. The comeback was admittedly weak, but I was more worried about the plan than how idiotic I sounded.

"It doesn't matter what you think. Come here, Fuzen," he orders.

"I don't think so," I respond. How long was Daisuke going to take?

"Don't be ridiculous. I said come," Shri snaps. I can feel the power of his gaze drilling into me. "Fine. I guess I'll have to resort to methods with a little less finesse."

"Duck, Fuzen!" I do what Daisuke says without question, hearing the whistle of a long and heavy object sailing over my head. I open my eyes, knowing that I would have to face the risk of Shri's power in order to fight.

I glance behind me. Katasho had flung his metal staff towards my head. Thank God Daisuke had warned me. Speaking of...

I turn back to Daisuke and Katasho, seeing then locked in a power struggle over a kunai, I stare in horror as Katasho slowly pushes the kunai towards Daisuke's throat. Immediately I react, sending a kunai pommel first towards Katasho's head. Not a killing blow, but if Daisuke shifted into the path of the kunai I would be greatful for that.

As soon as I release the kunai I begin handsigns, creating the genjutsu I adapted from the jutsu my sister taught me. Shun falls still as he's trapped in my genjutsu. In the genjutsu, shut ikay were raining down from all sides. He'd be so busy trying to escape them he wouldn't realize it's a genjutsu.