Fourteen

Reece leaned away when she heard Phil come down the stairs again. He appeared at the foot of the stairs and beckoned me forward, so I rose and walked toward him. He wrapped his arms around me tightly. I hesitated for a second, wondering what his aunts would say, but I eventually returned the hug happily. He smelled like warm vanilla and cinnamon.

He pulled away and smiled, then turned to walk back up the stairs. I glanced back at Reece and Diana. They were both smiling and nodding, as if in silent agreement.

I followed Phil up the stairs and into his room. Unsurprisingly, he had several bright pictures and posters up on his wall. Fall Out Boy, Muse, some unfamiliar animes, a couple of photos of friends I assumed were from his old school.

"Did you find the house okay?" He asked timidly. "I know it's a little hard to find."

"Yeah," I replied.

"You, uh, you look nice," Phil commented.

"You too," I replied, then smirked. "I liked the other pants better though."

Phil blushed a bright pink color again. Even the tips of his ears changed color. "Shut up, I didn't know you were here."

We fell silent, him glaring at me and me smiling like an idiot.

His face formed a smile, dropping the menacing stare. "Thanks for coming, it means a lot."

"Of course," I assured. "I'm always here for you."

---

The funeral started twenty minutes late because two cousins got stuck in traffic on the way here. Phil shrugged and said that they're always late.

When the service finally started in their astonishingly colorful back yard, Phil found a seat toward the front, and made me sit next to him. I was slightly uncomfortable with the close proximity to the casket, but didn't say anything as I needed to support Phil and nothing else mattered. There was a tall podium with a nicely dressed man, whom I assumed was the pastor, standing on it.

"A couple of people would like to speak a few words before we start," he spoke, then stepped off the podium.

Phil's mom walked up to the stand and cleared her throat loudly. "My husband was a beautiful man. He always donated generously to charities, always wanted to volunteer at shelters and clinics, always wanted to be the best man he could be. I want him to know," she turned to look at the closed casket lovingly, "that I will continue loving him, even though he passed on to the other side. Rest in peace, my sweet, giant angel."

A couple of people chuckled, but Phil stayed silent. He just stared at his feet, looking like he was holding back tears.

"Alright Phil. It's your turn," she said, and sat back down in her original seat.

I looked over at Phil as he stood up and made his way to the podium silently, looking worse than I'd ever seen him before.

"My father was tall, as you all must know," he spoke with such a grace that I didn't know he possessed. "When I was a child, he used to put me on his shoulders and carry me around the house. I felt like the tallest man in the world then. Now I feel like the smallest."

My chest tightened at his words. I felt the pain in his voice as he talked.

"I know that if he was here right now, he'd probably get angry at all of us for being so sad. He would say, 'what the hell are you crying about? Heaven is awesome,' and we'd all laugh at his attempt to make something so depressing a little lighter."

I could feel the tear start to roll down my cheek. I didn't even know this man, yet Phil made me feel like we were lifelong friends.

"So instead, I'm going to tell a joke: what did baby corn say to mommy corn?"