CHIHIRO

When I walked into the room, I was welcomed by the sweet aroma of food. Inside was a long table filled from beginning to end of rice balls, sushi, castella, cakes, and more! I've never seen so much food before in my entire life! 

Spirits of the bathhouse surrounded the table, seating themselves. To my surprise, I saw the river spirit- otherwise known as the God of the Rivers- laughing along with one of the frog servants. He turned to me and smiled. 

"Sin!" He echoed, waving a small watery arm in my direction. I waved back. 

 I looked back at Haku, and he showed me to my seat. He pulled out a chair and gestured for me to sit down. He joined the table beside me. Lin sat on my other side, and Kamaji was already seated in front of me. I took a small plate and fit rice balls and anmans onto it, taking a huge bite out of an anman. My taste buds seemed happy at the taste of it. This food was one of the things I missed about the bathhouse and the Spirit World. 

 "Is everyone here for me?" I asked Haku after I swallowed my food. He nodded and rubbed my back.

 "They've been wanting you to come back. We all have." He replied, smiling. "Well, not as much as I have. I've missed you the most." 

I smiled and felt my face heat up. I covered it with my hands. Suddenly, my hands were removed, and I could see Haku. My hands were in his. 

 "Don't," he added, leaning in close. "It's cute." 

I looked into his eyes, those beautiful eyes, and it immediately felt as if we were the only two people here. His touch made me feel all fuzzy inside, and I didn't want to move from where I was. It seemed as if I would wake up at any second, and all of this would be gone. Haku would be a figment of my imagination, and suddenly he'd disappear. But, I knew in this heart that all of this was real, not a dream. My own fairy tale here in my grasp, right in front of me. My love, my Haku. 

Without warning, my pocket vibrated. I reached into it and took out my phone. It was a call from my parents. Again. 

 Impeccable timing, I thought as I answered it. 

 "Honey," my dad began, "how are you?" 

"We've tried calling your apartment for hours, but we haven't gotten an answer," my mom interjected.

 "I'm out somewhere," I replied, sighing. Around me, everyone stopped what they were doing. Haku's eyes widened. 

 "With friends?" She asked. 

"Yeah. You could say that." I grinned a little at the corner of my mouth. 

 "Good. I'm glad you're finally going places," my dad added. "We were just worried about you, that's all." 

"Everything's fine," I said. "I have to go now. Bye. Love you." 

I ended the call before they could bring me new questions. I looked up to find a surprised and curious Haku. 

 "It's a cell phone," I explained to everyone. "A device in my world to get into contact with people." 

Haku took it from my hands and examined it. He tapped the screen and it lit up, showing a picture of me at the beach with my parents. 

 "Humans really have changed since I've been one," he whispered, flipping through the apps. He eventually pressed on the camera app. He jumped in his seat. 

 "Whoa, it's a mirror!" 

 I giggled and grabbed it. 

"No, silly, it's a camera." I pointed it toward him. "Now, smile!" 

Clueless, Haku just smiled and I quickly took the picture. I turned the screen to him. 

 "Here you are," I said. "Your first photo." 

His eyebrows knitted up together in confusion. 

"I'm actually surprised it works here in this world," I joked. 

 I turned the phone off and put it back in my pocket. Before the other curious spirits could start asking questions, a wind flew through the room, and all went quiet. Yubaba appeared at the entrance, her hair in a messy bun like always. 

 "A spirit's on their way to the bathhouse," she announced. 

Soon, everyone was in a hurry. Servants quickly showed their customers back to their rooms, while Haku took my wrist and lifted me from my seat. 

 "Come with me," he said, pulling me out of the room. "I need to take you somewhere safe before I deal with this." 

"Wait," I interjected. "Yubaba didn't say anything about it being an evil spirit. Why can't I stay with you?"

 I knew Haku wouldn't fight with me. He sighed and started walking the other direction, toward the main doors of the bathhouse. 

 "Fine," he scoffed. 

As he opened the door, a sliver of sunshine was visible in the distance, and the stars above us were no longer there. Then, Haku stopped in his tracks and growled. 

 "Stay behind me, Chihiro," he ordered, pushing me back with his hand. I looked over his shoulder to see a slim, cloaked figure at the other end of the bridge. 

 "We're closed," Haku proclaimed to it. "Now, go away!" 

The figure turned, and I saw its familiar features. 

 "No-Face," I said under my breath, laying a hand on Haku's forearm. I slowly pushed him aside and took a step forward. He immediately grabbed my hand. 

 "Don't," he hissed. "Do you remember what he did the last time you let him in here? He terrorized the whole damn place!"

 "But he changed once we made it to Zeniba," I admitted, staring at him. "Besides, he helped me save your life. The least I can do is talk with him. He's my friend." 

Eventually, seeing that I made a point, he let go of me. 

 "I'll be standing right here for your safety," he whispered.

 I nodded and turned back to the bridge. There, No-Face stood, with his usual mask and dark appearance. I slowly walked toward him. 

"Hi, No-Face," I called out. "It's me, Chihiro, remember?" 

 As I came closer to him, I could see that his figure was much smaller than it was ten years ago. I stopped just a few feet away from him. Suddenly, he stretched out an arm and made his way in front of me, now just a hand's-length apart. Behind me, I could hear Haku's growls growing louder and stronger in anger. 

 "It'll be fine, Haku," I hollered out. I reached out my hand and touched his mask. He made no sounds and no movements, but I could hear him breathing. I watched his body sway with the wind. 

 I peered down and suddenly saw a black cloak fall to the ground at No-Face's feet. I lifted my head slowly. I expected nothing but a floating mask. But I was wrong. Instead, there was baggy black pants and a large black shirt. His hands were now visible, and they weren't like they used to be. They were like Haku's hands and mine. 

It can't be, I thought.

Frightened, I looked up at his face. The mask still remained. 

 "No-Face?" I questioned, stepping back and removing my hands from the mask. 

 Suddenly, the hands went to the mask and removed it. Underneath was a hooded head and a face- a human face- with jet black hair, dark purple eyes, and a bright white, toothed smile. He was no longer the No-Face I once knew. He was someone entirely different. Someone like Haku. Someone like me. 

"Please," he introduced. "Call me Kao."