Sixteen

"Bye guys, be safe!" I called as my parents got into their car. They were going to San Fransisco for the weekend as a "really short second honeymoon," as they called it. I didn't mind; I prefer the house to myself.

I closed the door as they pulled out, and started to prepare the house for Cat and Phil. I grabbed all the movies I could put in my two arms and stacked them next to the TV carefully. I then popped a bowl of popcorn and placed it on the kitchen counter. I did the dishes, vacuumed the floor, dusted the ceiling fan, wiped down counters, and sprayed air freshener. I wanted everything to be nice and clean for their arrival.

Cat showed up thirty minutes early, which I expected. She walked in and grabbed the bowl of popcorn immediately. She plopped herself down in front of the stack of movies.

"These are all boring," she commented with a mouth full of popcorn.

"What do you want to watch then?" I asked, my voice harsh.

She shrugged, unfazed my my snappy remark. "A scary movie maybe."

I walked up to my room and grabbed the three scary movies I owned: The Shining, Paranormal Activity-which I still haven't seen out of sheer fear, and The Exorcist.

I handed them to Cat, who scanned them and held out Paranormal Activity to me. "I haven't seen this one yet." I rolled my eyes and put it down on the table that held out TV. She grabbed the bowl of popcorn and sat down on my couch, chomping mindlessly. "You might have to make another bag of popcorn."

"I won't if you don't eat it all," I grumbled. She stared at me as she took another handful of popcorn and shoved it in her mouth. I sighed and went back to the kitchen to make some more.

Phil showed up about fifteen minutes later, looking excited. He had box of popcorn in his hand. I took it gratefully while staring at Cat harshly.

He sat down next to Cat on the couch and started eating the popcorn in her lap.

"Have you seen Paranormal Activity?" Cat asked as she swallowed a bunch of popcorn.

"No, but I've been wanting to," he exclaimed happily. "Is that what we're gonna watch?"

"Mmhmm," Cat responded. "I picked it out. But first," she held up her index finger, "we're gonna play games."

"Games?" I questioned.

"Spin the bottle!"

"No." I said quickly.

"Truth or dare!"

"No."

"Fuck, Marry, Kill!"

"No, Cat."

Phil just laughed as I shot down all of her ideas, which I knew would lead to her trying to enforce Phil's and my relationship. Not that I'd mind, but I don't want Cat to be the person who causes it.

"How about we play "truth or dare," Phil suggested, "but nothing too imposing. You have the right to say no."

"Okay, that's fine!" Cat yelled happily. "Phil, truth or dare?"

"Dare."

"Alright, go find Dan's laptop and bring it downstairs in fifteen seconds."

Before I could ask what the point of that was, Phil took off up the stairs. Cat giggled as she counted down on her fingers. As she got to two fingers, Phil appeared at the foot of the stairs with my laptop under his arm. He raised it triumphantly in the air, making us both giggle.

"Okay, Dan. Truth or dare?"

"Uh, truth."

"Did you enjoy that kiss with Zoe?" He asked, smirking. Cat snickered too.