39

Chapter Thirty-Nine

One of my favorite parts of Christmas, besides all the presents and being with family, was the atmosphere of the house after putting up the decorations and the Christmas tree. Because once everything was up, shining and bright, that was when it truly started to feel like Christmas.

Faith was helping me put the final touches on the tree, while Emmie was outside, hanging up the Christmas lights around the house. We may or may not have been running behind on the decorations, being that it was Christmas Eve and we hadn't even looked at the decorations since this morning.

"Does the star look straight to you?" I asked, tilting my head to the side in an attempt to get a better perspective.

"It's definitely not straight," Faith said from below me with a hint of amusement laced through her voice. "Tilt it more to the left."

Following her instructions, I nodded and reached up, tilting the sparkly gold star to the left. I hopped off the ladder to look at the tree all together. I grinned and placed my hands on my hips in triumph. "Perfect!"

The front door opened then and a gust of wind blew through the living room. A frozen Emmie walked in, her cheeks flushed pink from the cold, harsh wind outside. She smiled when her eyes landed on the finished Christmas tree. "It looks great!" She exclaimed. "Now all that's missing are the presents." She said as she took her gloves off. "Could you bring yours down so I can arrange them right now?"

With a nod of my head, I climbed up the stairs and made my way into my room, where I had stored my presents just in case a certain someone tried to go looking for them.

I handed Emmie the presents when I got back downstairs, who grabbed them from my hands and began arranging them under the tree along with hers. I made my way into the kitchen where Faith was at, in search of anything that was edible, and sat down on one of the stools beside the kitchen island.

"Have you gotten anything for Logan, yet?" Emmie asked, looking up from the presents.

"No," I admitted as I dropped my chin down onto the palm of my hand and released a long, stressed sigh.

This Christmas in particular was very important. It was the first Christmas I would be buying my boyfriend a gift. And the truth was - I had absolutely no clue what to buy. I wanted to get Logan something meaningful and special because he deserved the absolute best.

"Well, I got Tyler this watch he really wanted and a pair of concert tickets to see his favorite band live." Faith mentioned as she closed the door to the pantry and walked over to the kitchen island with a bag of chips in her hands.

"Has he mentioned anything in particular that he may want?" She asked, stuffing a handful of chips into her mouth.

"That's the thing; I don't remember."

The doorbell rang then, cutting our conversation off short. Emmie stood and walked across the living room, reaching the door within a couple strides. She opened it to find Logan standing in front of her, a friendly smile stretched across his lips. His cheeks and the tip of his nose a rosy pink, and he was trying his hardest to hide the chattering of his teeth.

"Oh, hi, Logan." Emmie greeted with a smile. "Here, come in!" She stepped to the side, giving him the permission to walk in and closing the door after him. "What brings you here?"

"I just wanted to see my girl." He replied, turning to flash me a million-dollar grin and earning coos from Emmie and Faith.

Smiling bashfully, I stood up and walked over to him, throwing my arms around his neck. "As sweet as that is," I said, pecking his cheek, "What's the real reason?"