Wattpad Original
There are 7 more free parts

13 | forte

1 3

f o r t e

[It.] : (f) Loud.

THE SILENCE THAT ensued was suffocating in every way. I couldn't even begin to describe the range of emotions that flitted across Kaden's face over the next few seconds. There was disbelief, shock, confusion; along with other stronger emotions, like hurt and pure fury, as well as a fleeting second of utter relief. Parker and Nolan were dead quiet but I could feel their sharp gazes on me.

"You're – " Kaden's voice was strangled, his normally articulate behaviour shattered to bits. He stared at me so intently, searchingly, as though he was trying to recall me from the deepest recesses of his mind. " – you're the girl?"

I shoved all worries aside and focused on him instead, how I never thought an opportunity like this would ever become a reality. I was finally, finally introducing myself to Kaden Bretton. It was sheer exhilarating and nerve-wracking all at once.

Nodding, I flashed a hesitant but warm smile. "Hello, Kaden."

The brief emotion of happiness that flickered in his eyes was so quick I almost missed it. But I caught it and it was real. And then it was gone and his expression was cold once more.

"She's the same Isla I mentioned before," came Parker's voice, measured but smooth as usual. "My mum and I lived with her Dad and her for years, remember?"

Kaden didn't reply. It didn't seem to matter to him that Parker had told him about me in the past. Instead, he got to his feet and took a deliberate step closer to me. His posture was so stiff and intimidating that I faltered. I had just begun to glance away when his fingers shot out to grasp my arm. But if I had adored his touch previously, relished in the warmth of his skin on mine, his was the kind of harsh, unrelenting warmth now, his grip almost vice-like.

When I met his eyes, his gaze was unreadable. Ironic how he now had his sight back and he was far more elusive than he had been when he was blind.

"I need a word with you," he said, his voice void of all emotion. "In private," he added coldly, when Parker and Nolan made to stand.

Nolan immediately sat back down but Parker hesitated, staring at Kaden warily.

I shot my brother a reassuring smile. "I'll be fine."

He didn't look very convinced, which was completely understandable. Kaden was in an unidentifiable mood at the moment and we could hardly predict his next move. But before I could reassure Parker further, Kaden was already pulling me towards the door. Ever the gentleman, he held the door open for me to step through, before stepping out himself and letting the door swing shut behind us.

Perhaps it was the purposeful, utterly intimidating way he carried himself, because no one seemed inclined to follow or approach us – not even Jeanette or Brent, who stared at us with wide eyes and gaping mouths as we headed past the lobby and towards the balcony which I had been just several minutes ago.

The street below was still busy, the constant sounds from cars rushing by like the kind of background music that was grating to the ears. Kaden still hadn't let go of my arm but his grip had loosened slightly, so I pulled back, unsure of how to behave in front of him.

Because what now? What was he thinking? I stared at him doubtfully as he turned to shut the door firmly behind us and decided it was best that I apologise for the way I'd left him months ago.