Chapter thirty-nine

(Louis's POV)

I awake to the peculiar feeling of my body being bounced up and down. Groaning, I slowly open up my eyes and see Daisy and Phoebe jumping on the bed, telling me to wake up. The light shines through my navy blue curtains and nearly blinds me. I rub my tired eyes gently with my knuckles and stretch up.

"Wake up! It's Christmas!" Daisy giggles.  She jumps with Phoebe at the bottom of the bed and smiles at me.

"Okay, alright.  I'm getting up."

I reach over and pick up my glasses that were resting on the bedside table. I carelessly put them on and blink a few times, adjusting to the sudden clarity. I look over at the clock. It's only eight o'clock in the morning. Are you kidding me?

That's why I don't like Christmas. It means I have to wake up early in the morning to screaming little girls. As much as I love my sisters, they can annoy be very easily. 

"Let's go!  Santa left presents!  Come on!" Phoebe yells, tugging lightly on my sleeve.

I chuckle lightly and let her pull me along, trudging down the hallway. In the living room, mum and dad are sat next to the fireplace, while Fizzy and Lottie are in front of the decorated tree. The fireplace is crackling and warming up the surrounding air.

"Mornin' Lou," my mum greets me.

"It's 'bout time you woke up," my dad laughs.

I roll my eyes and sit next to the twins. They sit on opposite sides of me, squishing me in the middle. Mum warns us that we couldn't afford that much for Christmas, so gifts would be small. We all agreed that it didn't really matter. It's the thought that counts, after all.

Phoebe and Daisy open their gifts first. Their presents are both the same shape, wrapped in golden wrapping paper. They both have red bows on top and name tags with their name written on them with black sharpie, in my mother's neat, crisp hand writing.

They rip them open like lions attacking gazelles. They both squeal and smile down at their new dolls. Apparently you can feed them and change their diapers? I've never understood how little girls think that's fun, but they seem to be happy with it. Mum video tapes the entire thing, laughing silently behind her camera.

The twins smile brightly and hug mum and dad, mumbling 'thank you's into their ears. Mum tells Fizzy and Lottie to open theirs next. They both search under the tree and find their gifts. Fizzy pulls out a box shaped present wrapped up in paper and ribbon, and Lottie's gift is a small, thin box. They both smile and open them slowly.

Fizzy rips open a box with an album inside, as well as new ear buds. Lottie gets a makeup kit, which she's very excited about. They both tell mum and dad thank you and happily look over their gifts. I don't see what the big hoopla is. It's just makeup, but whatever. I guess it's a girl thing.

"Louis," mum speaks up. "Here." She passes me a small box, so I take it and raise an eyebrow at her. It's small enough to fit in my hand.

"You didn't have to get me anything," I say honestly, sitting back down. I sit cross legged on the soft, white carpeting.

"Just open it. It's a birthday and Christmas gift. . . as well as a graduation gift," she grins. 

I sigh and slowly remove the top of the box. Beneath it is tightly bound tissue paper around something relatively small. I carefully open it, then hear the present jingle. What?

I pull out a key. Not just an ordinary key, but a car key.

"You got me a car!?" I ask, jumping up from the ground. My eyes widen and my heart starts leaping out of my chest. I've had my license for ages now but haven't had the opportunity to drive.