chapter one

chapter one

I THOUGHT MY BEST FRIEND was completely drunk when I smashed my lips onto hers. I figured she'd kiss me back and confess her un-defying love for me, but the only thing I received was a smack across the face and a threat from her boyfriend.

Since the event a few months ago, I've stayed away from her - and let me tell you, it's not easy at all.    

Watching her laugh and smile from afar are the things that remind me of her slap and betrayal. I wish I could apologize and pretend none of that ever happened, but she knows I was sober at the party. She knows it wasn't a drunk mistake.

The least I'm asking for is forgiveness. I don't know how many times I've apologized to her, and every time I do she ignores me even further than before.

"Hey, babe. Ready to go?" I felt a light peck on my cheek.

I half-heartedly smiled as I watched my ex best friend, Julia, kiss her hunky boyfriend. I turned to face Mason and plastered a big smile on my face just for him.

"Yeah."

I leaned forward and pressed my lips against his. They were warm and welcoming, almost as if they were telling me that I shouldn't think about Julia the way I do. I should think about Mason instead.

I pulled away and smiled. Mason smiled as well and put his arm around me as we walked down the school hall together.

When we approached Julia and Chad (her hunky boyfriend), I couldn't help but wish that she'd see Mason and I and realize that I am a real person in a real relationship. But she paid no attention to us at all as we walked by, breaking my heart just a little bit more.

"Okay, I have our whole day planned. You ready for this?" Mason looked at me as if I were a golden ticket.

"Shoot," I chuckled.

We opened the doors to the main entry way and stepped out on to the many stairs leading up to the school. Mason spun around so he faced me and held his hands out in front of him as I braced myself for what's to come.

"We're going to bake those amazing cookies you always make -"

"-you mean I'm going to bake the cookies alone while you search for something to watch on Netflix?" I smirked.

This was our usual routine. He always says that he's planned something amazing, but it's always the same in the end.

"No, you goof. I'll help you this time, I swear." He chuckled as he put his hands up to surrender.    

"Good," I smiled, "but I'm going to need to buy a few ingredients because I ran out of a lot of things."    

"Okay, well-"

"Hey!" Someone called from afar, "Mason!"

I peered over his shoulder as he turned around to see who was calling him. It was Frank, a good friend of Mason's. They're both on the soccer team and are star players (according to the school newspaper - I honestly don't think Mason's that good and he just earned the title because of his looks, but I'm not the one writing the paper so I can't complain).

"Aye, Frank!" They do a manly shake and top it off with a manly hug.Everything is always so manly with Mason, and I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing yet.

"What's up man?" Mason focuses all his attention on Frank.

I awkwardly cross my arms and fade away in the background; trying not to interrupt or become involved. I hear a few things about a birthday party, but I'm not too intrigued.