20

20 : and under the selcouth hymns, their story began

• • •

"Pray tell, why, oh why, did we decide to open the café after Christmas break? I have so many things due today, that I can't balance anything!" Ezra yelled over the phone, as she struggled to carry two trays at the same time on her way upstairs. "Pola's not helping!"

"Is she missing again?" the amber-eyed male on the other line asked, earning a nod from Ezra, although he obviously couldn't see it over the phone.

"At this point, we're used to it already," was the ginger's short reply. Then, she transferred the phone from one ear to another. "Anyways, I gotta go. Students from across the globe are flocking around the café right now and I feel like Seren and I have to split ourselves into pieces to accommodate them all."

"Aw, I wanna speak more!" Ezra could hear Kid sulking over the phone, which prompted her to grin while shaking her head.

"I'm working."

"Fuck that café," the amber-eyed male jokingly said.

Ezra raised an eyebrow and put a hand over her hips in a lecture stance although the golden-eyed male was not in front of her. If he was here, though, the ginger was sure that she would've swatted his head already. "Excuse you, this café is the reason why you got to know me, Buttercup."

"The apartment's the reason, so nope," Kid replied, popping the letter p. Then, Ezra heard the seriousness and concern in the male's tone. "Anyways, just drop the call if you're busy. I could hear screamin' from here. Are 'ya murdering your customers?"

"No, teenagers just happened to be noisy. Now, you hang up." From the other line of the call, Kid rejected Ezra's order to hang up the call, saying she was the one who was busy and had to go. Therefore, she also has to be the one to end the call, to which the redhead just shook her head. "This is so childish, I hate you."

As Ezra dropped the call, she turned around to run around the café again and ensure that everyone had their orders received, but she halted when she bumped into a grinning Serenity. Who looked like she'd been standing behind the gingerhead for quite some time.

"Wow, so you do the hang-up thing, too?" The taunting comment from the blonde confirmed Ezra's suspicion that Serenity had, indeed, been eavesdropping.

The gingerhead sighed and ran a hand over her friend's face in a harsh but careful manner to wipe off the prying look on her face. "Seren, I'm surprised you still have the energy to tease me when we're this busy."

"Who are you to judge me? You're flirting over the phone despite our busyness." Serenity giggled and waited for Ezra's face to turn red in embarrassment and yell at her. However, it was the blonde's turn to raise an eyebrow when the gingerhead did no such thing. "Look who's not denying it."