Chapter IV : One Enthusiastic Tailor

No matter how fucked you get, there's always hell when you come back down.

"Ow – Ah, I'm sorry."

The busty tailor rose for a moment, her expression concerned. "Damn. Did I hit you with my pin? Please do me a favour and don't bleed on the dress."

"Yes, we can't have that," Sebastian called from the other side of the screen, prompting me to scowl at the wall; I hadn't exactly woken up in the most wonderful of moods, and his mission in life seemed to be to torment me from the moment he had stepped into my new bedroom this morning.

The day had begun with a bright light; oh, how horrifically bright it seemed to be. When I'd stopped my squealing and come to my senses, Sebastian was standing by the curtain with a pleasant expression and a parcel.

"I have prepared your breakfast. There is a hot bath waiting for you, and a robe here." He placed the parcel on the end of my bed.

I groaned. "S... time's it?"

"Six o'clock, ma'am."

"Six – Six o'clock?!" I hauled myself up on the heap of soft feather pillows, squinting down at Sebastian; he was still smiling at me, appearing to be perfectly content with the position he was in. "Why in the Lord's name are you getting me out of bed at six o'clock?!"

"Miss Hopkins shall be arriving at nine to measure you and fit you for your new clothes – at the expense of my young master, of course. You require your bath and your hair needs a trim."

That certainly woke me up. "You mean... you... I'm not letting you anywhere near my neck with a scissors."

"I won't be cutting your hair, ma'am." He gave a roll of his bloody-red eyes, filled with attitude. "Now, please, the bath must be getting cold. Mey-Rin, our maid, is waiting in the parlor."

Mey-Rin must be the lucky person tasked with cutting my hair, then. I waited until Sebastian had vacated the room before going to my bath; it was a claw-footed tub of hot water, made out of a rich cream porcelain. Standing proudly to attention, it steamed away in the centre of a white-and-gold tiled room – and there was even a toilet in the corner, propped up against the wall like a monster, the chain and cistern hanging high over the seat. I, personally, would have been fearful of the tank falling on top of me as I did my business, but I suppose that was of no concern to my new host.

Upon making sure that I had scrubbed every available inch of myself, I crept from the bath and drained the dirty water. A soft, fluffy towel was hanging from the rack especially for me, and I gave myself a pat down before wrapping up in the navy-silk dressing gown I'd received that morning.

Mey-Rin was an anxious sounding woman with bottle-thick lenses and a shock of magenta hair, tied into pigtails. But she did an excellent job of my hair, combing it out and trimming away the dead ends neatly. I noticed she chattered away as she worked, occasionally commenting on the 'Miss Hopkins' that was visiting the mansion in the coming hour. She seemed quite wary of her, and I soon discovered why.

Nina Hopkins was a very... forward woman. And when I say forward, I mean sexual in every manner possible. She was lush, womanly; her tight white shirt and waistcoat exposed her ample cleavage, her dark short pants (which I had never seen before on a woman) like a second skin against her rosy flesh. She was completely dismissive of Sebastian, but fawned over Mey-Rin – and once she took a look at me, that was that.

"Oh, she's gorgeous!" Nina gushed, taking my hand and squeezing it enthusiastically between both of hers. "Wherever did Ciel find this one?"

"In the street, ma'am," I replied, rather unhelpfully; but she just laughed and took my arm.