P L A Y I N G T H E G A M E - C H A P T E R 14

Chapter 14

"Ms. Nazari, you have a package at the front desk. I repeat there is a package at the front desk for you Ms. Nazari."

Amal sucked her teeth and picked the phone up that sat on her desk. She looked away from the white sheet on her desk and quickly dialed a number before putting the phone to her ear. The phone began to ring as Amal resumed filling out the medical form for her patient.

On the third ring an energetic quirky voice picked up on the other end. "Helloooo?" The voice chirped. 

"Hannah there was an announcement on the intercom for me a second ago saying I had delivery. Will you get that for me and bring it to my office, thanks." Amal said to her personal assistant, hanging up without waiting for a reply. Amal sighed and blew a strand of hair out of her face. "I swear you could never get anything done around here. They know I'm busy yet they just can't bring it to me. These people..." She mumbled to herself. 

Even though Amal was technically on lunch break; she never stopped working. That's how she's always been. Due to her strict parents growing up she was very punctual and serious about her work.

 A minute later there was a knock on the door. 

"Come in." Amal said without looking up.

The door opened and a young bubbly black girl stepped in with something wrapped in blue floral paper. She had a big smile on her face like the gift was for her while she extended it to Amal. Amal looked up just as the girl gave her the package and Amal couldn't help but blush either. Right away she could see it was a personal gift. 

Amal ripped the thin sheet of gift paper straight down the middle and pulled out a boutique of roses. The first thing she noticed were the colors. There were a dozen roses. Eleven pink and one red. Attached to the only red rose was a small card. Amal opened it and peered at the small handwriting.  

"In every bunch there's one who stands out—and you are that one. From Joseph." Amal's heart fluttered. 

"Awww," Hannah cooed, putting one hand on her chest. "That is so sweet. I wish I had a boyfriend." 

Amal looked up at her and raised her eyebrow. "Hannah don't you have work to do?" 

"Nope," She said popping the third letter. "I'm on break just like you. You called me in here so I came."

"Yeah well I have something for you to do. Paul Edman, go take his X-ray, I'm filling out his medical form right now and I need to see the progress in his bone structure from the last X-ray." 

"Gotcha." Hannah said putting up her thumb before exiting the room. 

Amal smiled when she was alone and smelled the roses. She got up and turned around to rest them in a pretty water colored vase right behind her desk. Then opened the blinds to let the sun hit them. Amal was a physical therapist, dealing with people who suffered from physical injuries making it difficult for them to fuction on their own without help.