Chapter 45-I Did It

I wrote for two weeks straight.

Spring break passed me by with all the force of a tornado, ushering May in like a hurricane. Except for Zumba with Kenzie, gym in the morning, and an occasional smoothie with Megan, I lived in the basement, writing, rewriting, and editing my contest submission. It was two in the morning, exactly fourteen days after meeting young Anna in the gym, that I sent Miss Bliss the paper.

Then I sat back, stared at the screen, and heaved a huge breath of relief. The contest submission date was three days away. I had to submit my application for the editing internship by June 15th, which meant I would just have time to hear back from the contest if I won and include it on my resume.

I knew the story was good. I could feel it deep in my bones. Not only was it honest and raw, but it hurt like hell to write.

Miss Bliss called me on my cell phone two days later. I didn't even know she had my number.

"In my office. Right now."

She hung up before I could respond. I veered away from my English literature class and cut across the grass for her office, pulling my almost-too-big jeans up before they fell around my ankles.

_____________

"Where have you been hiding?"

Miss Bliss tossed a marked up pile of papers on the desk in front of me. I caught them before they slid off and looked up.

"What?"

She motioned to the stack with a nod of her head. "That. Where has that been all this time?"

I held my breath. "You liked it?"

"No." She pulled her glasses off. "I loved it."

A little thrill ran through me. It didn't seem possible that Miss Bliss would approve of anything that I'd written. While I hadn't written to find her approval, it felt nice to have it all the same. "Really?"

"It's gritty and real. You didn't hold back, did you?"

"No."

"It shows. Was it difficult to write?"

The long nights of confronting my deepest insecurities rushed back to me like a cannon fire. Difficult? It had been hell. Not only did I have to face my own issues, but I faced them knowing that other people would read it, judge it, critique it.

Knowing that when all was said and done, Bradley would know all my ugly secrets.

"Writing that was the hardest thing I've ever done, next to losing my dad."

"Good. That's how it should be. I stayed up all night reading it, so a fruit basket of appreciation would be nice. Fix up the punctuation errors and other things that I noted and get it submitted. Keep me updated. That is a winner."

I gripped the papers with both hands, feeling euphoric and breathless. No food on earth had ever made me feel this way before.

"Thank you, Miss Bliss."

She gave me a smile as slow as molasses. "Get out of here and edit your paper. It has to be turned in by midnight tonight. Oh, and Lexie?" She stopped me halfway out the door. I spun around, my eyebrows lifted.

"Yes?"

"What are you going to do for the title?"

I glanced down to the papers. I'd given the title a lot of thought, but couldn't decide. "I'm not sure. It's . . . it's not quite done, to be honest."

She tilted her head to the side. "Really?"

"I'm going to submit it like this," I said. "But the story isn't finished. Not yet. That'll happen in a couple of months."

She smiled. "Well, I can't wait to read the rest."

____________

I did it.

My computer screen illuminated my face late that night as I sent a message to Bradley in the Facebook chat window. I had the windows open to let the cool spring air flood inside. If it hadn't been so close to midnight, I would have gone on a walk to enjoy the smell of juniper.

Bradley's response came fast. Did what?

Submitted my story.

The indicator of him typing paused for about ten seconds and then started again. Really?

Really. Miss Bliss loved it.

And how do you feel?

I hesitated this time. How did I feel?

Like a girl that finally knows who she is, I responded. My cell phone rang, and I picked it up without looking at who was calling so late.

"So who are you then?" Bradley asked. "Who is Lexie Greene?"

I pulled in a deep breath. "Well, uh . . . Lexie Greene is a girl that isn't perfect, that likes to eat, that has a repairing relationship with her family, and that prefers walking over running."

"Awesome. Do I get to read the story?"

"Yes, but, I'm going to ask you to wait."

"For what?"

I climbed onto my bed and lay on my back, staring up at the glow-in-the-dark stars that formed a whirling design.

"For the wedding. I want to be there when you read it, and it's not quite done, to be honest. I'm going to finish it after Kenzie's wedding."

"Okay."

His easy response, so unbothered by the request, relaxed me. "Really?"

"Yeah."

"Oh, well . . . that was easier than I thought."

"Shoot, girl. I'm just here to support you as a friend. I don't care when things happen, so long as they happen. Speaking of the wedding, it's coming up in two months. Have you gotten your bridesmaid dress yet?"

My nose wrinkled. "Ugh. No. Don't remind me."

He laughed. "I can't wait to see it."

"That is one thing that you will definitely have to wait for. I will not take any pictures unless I absolutely have to. It's hideous. Truly hideous." A yawn interrupted the rest of my response, and by the time I'd finished, I'd forgotten what I meant to say. "Anyway, I'm going to go to bed. Talk to you later?"

"Definitely. Sweet dreams, Lexie girl."

I'd no sooner shut off my phone and emitted a dreamy sigh when the basement door opened, spilling a sliver of light down the stairs.

"Lex?" Kenzie called down. "Hey, you there?"

"Yeah. What's up?" I called back.

"Are you busy tomorrow?"

"Not especially."

"Great. Your dress came in. They need you to try it on to make sure it fits right before we pay for it. Three o'clock sound okay to you?"

I stifled a groan. "Yeah," I said, forcing a cheerful tone into my voice. Just the thought of the Barbie-pink nightmare made me want to shove a box of peanut butter M&M's into my mouth. "I'll be ready then."

"Great!" she squealed. "I can't wait to see it!"

The door shut in the aftermath of her excitement.

"Yeah," I muttered, grimacing. "Me too."

Sorry, guys. No funny image today. I searched for far too long before giving up. #notworthit 

In the meantime, let's hear your guesses on how the dress shopping is going to go. Disastrous? Well? Maybe Lexie will like it after all?