Chapter 49- Wake Me Up

Whoa Baby

Chapter 49- Wake Me Up

"But that's ok, we're all a little broken." -The Breakfast Club

3rd Person POV

It was another one of those nights. A cold sweat breaking out across JC's forehead and down his spine. He rolled his head on his pillow from side to side mumbling softly and incoherently on occasion. The nightmares came back. A different one this time. His mind brought him back to another night.

Not surprising, Jim Ace, intoxicated out of his mind, slurred his threats as he swayed back and forth waiting for JC to come out of his room. It couldn't have been more than six o'clock and Jim was already in this state. It was also, only a matter of time before the boy became scared and listened. Jim called out for his son again, in a more calming voice knowing it'd lure JC out.

JC stuck his head out of his room, curious to know why his father was acting so strange. He was never his calm when he was drunk. And JC could tell by the blood shot eyes and red pigmented skin that Jim was indeed intoxicated. "Come on we're leaving." Jim told him, grabbing his arm tightly in his grip and dragging him towards the steps.

"No. Where are we going?" JC squirmed, trying to break loose of his hold.

"We're leaving town. Just the two of us. You're mother isn't coming. She doesn't know how good she's had until I take it away from her. She doesn't deserve us! The bitch doesn't deserve anything." Jim cursed pulling at JC arm forcefully.

"No I don't want to go anywhere with you." JC demanded, pulling back on his arm and digging his heels on the floor.

"You don't have a choice! You don't tell me no! You hear me you little piece of shit?!" Jim bellowed, pulling at JC's arm so that they were now face to face.

"I want to stay here with mom!" JC fumed, daring to punch his father's arm so he'd let go of him.

Shortly after those words were spoken Carrie walks through the front door quickly putting the paper bags down on the floor. She screams Jim's name only to be ignored. "Jimmy let go of him!" Carrie demand, stomping her foot from the bottom of the stair case.

"Get out of my way whore, you don't appreciate anything around here." Jim shouts from the top of the stair case.

"JC go back to your room." Carrie encourage, "James let him go!" She screams running up the staircase.

Jim, fueled with anger, waits until Carrie reaches the top to slap her across the face. She falls, holding her face in her hands, trying not to look at JC with tears in her eyes. Jim pulls JC along to leave. JC fights back. Carrie, filled with fear that Jim will make it out of the house, tugs on his leg to stop him from going anywhere. Little did she know, that would just make him angrier and put his son's life on the line.

Jim forgets he's holding on to JC tightly, and JC doesn't know his father is going to let go to cause more pain on Carrie. So as Jim let's go, JC stumbles backwards, down all twelve steps. Carrie screams, trying to reach out but it's too late; JC has already falling. Carrie jumps to her feet, punching Jim before she runs down the stairs and tends to JC. There's a lot of blood pooling around his head. She cried for a while, and cries some more, checking his pulse and trying to wake him up. It's only a matter of time when she hastily grabs her cell phone that she previously dropped on the floor along with the groceries and calls 911.

James Ace, at the top of the stair case just stares. And stares. And stares. He doesn't say anything until he finally sees the red and blue lights through the windows. It's only then, that one time, where he sobers up enough to open the door for the EMTs; then sits at his dining room table with a half drank bottle of beer in his hands. Promising himself it would be the last one.