Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Zane muttered all the way to the barn. Why the hell was the guy riding his ass so much? The moment the thought entered his head Zane froze. "Mother fucker."

It wasn't that Zane had anything against men who preferred men. Not with his background at least. Yet he was here trying to get away from it all. Yet the words he heard all his life. "The apple doesn't fall far from the tree." Just served to enrage him once more.

Why the hell did he have to go through this all over again? He took on this job for that reason. To get away from it all. To get away from them. He was unfair, there was no ifs and or buts about it. Yet he just needed to get away, to clear his head for a while. That was the only reason he took this job on. Well, truth be told. The fact that it was for the Codey's had a lot to do with it too.

Once in the barn, Zane started to pick things up and clean before he headed out to Steels place. The thought of his friend made him smile. As far as he knew Rose was giving his buddy a run for his money. He still remembered the way his friend fell apart when Rose left. Yet what happened when she got back was very funny. Even though Zane almost swallowed his tongue when he saw Rose's belly.

Twins, his friend was having twins. He already had one little girl so two more would just make things perfect Steel had said. "Penny for your thoughts." The sound of her voice made the hair on the back of his neck stand on end. Ignoring her he continued to clean up.

 "Don't be like that. I sent Alejandro away. He means no harm. Just doesn't seem to be able to control himself. My theory is that he wasn't swaddled as a baby, that's why he has no boundaries." Zane looked up at the vet hoping that the look on his face would tell her he didn't care and didn't want to hear about it.

"If you keep scowling like that. Your face is going to freeze that way." The woman didn't know when to quit. "Fine don't talk to me. I can talk for the both of us as I help you clean." Zane let out a deep sigh and continued to ignore her.

"Did I tell you why I went to Chicago? My sister just had the most precious little girl. My brother finally landed the girl of his dreams too. You might see them next month if they come to visit." Zane felt the frown that etched his features. Great that was all they needed, more people around.

They were still no close to finding Hope or Rocky or Striker as his code name is for this operation. He wasn't going to admit it out loud but it was starting to get him worried. They had been missing for a while now. Yet he was holding on to the fact that Rocky was a resourceful son of a bitch. There must be a reason why he had to take her.

Yet his worry wasn't anything compared to the worry Steel felt. He was the second in charge of the mission and well, Rose won't marry him until Hope is found. "Did I tell you they might bring Angel with them? She's Heathers stepdaughter and the sweetest teenager ever. They want to give Heather and her husband some time with the baby." Zane snapped out of his thoughts in time to hear that last part.

"More of you are coming." Zane gritted out as he turned and stomped out of the barn. He needed to have a word with Steel and Mike Codey. They weren't sure how bad things were yet. Having more people underfoot would just make their job harder. He hopped in his F150 and burned rubber out of there.