Chapter 37

"Are you happy with yourself?"

I turned around to see Talon leaning against the tree next to me. He was staring at me with his cold blue eyes, dressed in his usual purple T-shirt and black pants. I turn back, looking into the window where I could see Duke was hugging Sarah.

"How did you find me?" I asked him while staring at Sarah's happy face.

"Knowing you, you would want to make sure that your deal with your father was true and that he would stick to his word. After all, your father is not to be trusted. I don't know what deal you made with him but was it really worth it?" Talon asked me looking at me as if I should think before I answered.

"Looks like you aren't so stupid after all. If I had the chance again to save Sarah's life, I would. Duke's happiness means a lot to me. A sibling, especially a young one can bring out who you are as a person." I replied looking at Talon.

"I knew you were going to say that but I'm just afraid of what's to come. I don't know what will happen next but I don't want you to ever regret your decisions." Talon said before pushing himself off the tree.

"I never regret my decisions. No matter what happens or the consequences of my actions. My only regret would be the lives I won't be able to save." I replied playing with the stones on the ground with my feet.

"Does he know? What you did with the people of the City of Caliber?" Talon inquired.

"No, he doesn't know. You guys will find them soon anyways. My father is unaware of me saving the people there. Our friends should find them soon enough as long as my father doesn't find out." I replied.

Talon stepped towards me and grab my hand into his. His thumb gently rubs my hand as a sign of appreciation and love. He looks at me with emotions that could confused anyone if they were in my situation.

"Winter. You don't have to sacrifice your life for others especially ones that don't appreciate it. You've got to live your life as well. It's not your place to decide what's best for everyone. You might be saving a lot of people in turn but how about the people that care about you? We don't care if other people die. We just want you safe and that you are able to live your life." Talon mumbled.

"I'm not selfish, Talon. It's just not in my nature. I'm an Elemental not a human. From the perspective of one that have suffered a lot of criticism and a lot of pain, a live is as precious as a jewel. No life should be taken for granted." I said before turning to walk away from him.

"Then wouldn't that mean that you are taken your life for granted? You aren't living your life." Talon shouted as he tried to keep up with me.

I turned around to stare into his eyes. I place my hands on both side of his face. We might not have the same connection that I have with Duke but we can understand each other more than anyone else ever could.

"Please don't make this harder for me Talon. Humans are selfish creatures who love their lives. We elementals are just pawns of a chessboard, to advance their kind. Some elementals are angry like Fay and others aren't. If they are all like Fay then there will no longer be a species called humans." I said resting my head against his.

"But Winter-" He trailed off.

"There's nothing we can do about it. We live or we die. That's how the world works. This is what I had decided my future to be. Nor you or Duke or anyone else should try to change that. I had decided it long ago when we were kids and you were being control by my father." I said.

"But it's unfair!" Talon shouted before hugging me tightly.

I softly pat his head as he sobs on my shoulder. Holding me tighter as if I was going to leave him or disappear. I wrap my other arm around his body as he holds mine and resting my head on his shoulder.

"It's not fair, Winter! It's not fair that you have to suffer the mistakes of people or the human kind. You don't need to do this to yourself! Or by yourself! There are people that would like to help. There is always going to be a person for everyone. I'm here for you." Talon cried out.

"It's not the same, Talon. What you humans have compared to us is the numbers. For humans, being together, working together and giving affection is what makes you strong as a species or race. For us Elementals, isolation is what makes it stronger and it is what destroys us." I explained.

"That doesn't mean that humans can't be there for Elementals, Winter. We care about you too and more than what we will show. Please just come back to us, Winter. Come back and be happy with us. Like all the other elementals here who are together." Talon mumbled into my shoulder.

I sighed before unwrapping my arms from Talon. I grab his hands and unwrap his body from mine. I place my hands on his cheeks again before giving him a kiss on his forehead. Thanking him.

"Thank you, Talon for your love and care but everyone has their paths. We might connect but that doesn't mean that the our paths won't separate once again and again. It will be endless crosses and lines until we meet again." I said.

"Winter." Talon whispered.

"I have to go now but please don't worry so much about me. I can look after myself and you know that. I will return someday." I smiled at him before disappearing back to my father's lair.

"One day"