Two // I Want to Run Away with You

"How are the stocks?" Sam queried her secretary, Julienne Harp. She was one of the most trusted people in her company for the fact that when Sam's wallet fell on the ground, Julienne returned it to her on the highest floor of the building. Julienne was still a janitress back then but since Sam hadn't have a secretary for years, she chose her because she knew she could trust her.

When Sam investigated Julienne Harp's background for important purposes, she was surprised the girl dropped out of college but she had brilliant grades in her courses. She took up Chemical Engineering in Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Sam wondered why such a bright and honest girl Julienne Harp would drop out of college.

"The stocks are still at its peak," Julienne replied over the phone. There were shuffling sounds in the background and Sam concluded Julienne was probably browsing through the folders. Without Julienne, Sam would have a slightly hard time to run the company. She had a lot of rival groups stealing investors but so far, ninety percent of these investors would go to their company.

Sam ran a company when she graduated at twenty in MIT—Massachusetts Institute of Technology—studying the behaviour of chemicals and their effect in the society. At this moment, they were engineering a better drug than Penicillin, which cost cheaper than the wonder drug itself.

A lot of pharmaceuticals had ordered and sold them at a slightly higher price. When Sam turned twenty-five, after all the hard work, she became a billionaire and of course the leading company for Wolfram Industries. Her parents were very proud of her most especially she came from a family who could only afford survival.

"But we have one rival company that is stealing our investors away," Julienne said sadly. "The company is Thulium Drugs."

Sam's grip on the phone hardened.

Nick breaking up with her, cancelling the wedding and now, a rival company was trying to make them bankrupt? Well, Sam hoped that they could make Thulium Drugs run out of investors before her rival company could.

"Alright. Please set up a board meeting on this matter. Though my presence will not be there, let the Vice CEO take place," she said, her other hand on the steering as the red light made the car stop. "And e-mail me as well regarding how the meeting went and what necessary actions shall we execute to pull our rival down."

She grimaced when she remembered Nick driving her and when the red light would stop, he would kiss her cheek. She didn't notice there were tears streaming on her eyes.

"When are you coming back ma'am?" Julienne asked.

"About after three months," was all Sam answered with her thick voice as she rotated the steering wheel, driving herself to an unknown town, her clothes packed in the back seat while the loud stereo was playing.

It was as if fate was making her life a one big joke over love. Their theme song played and she cringed, willing herself to change it. Love Story was playing and she cried. Her eyes were stinging as she let out soft sobs onto her chest. She wondered if Nick regretted what he did. She wondered if he was ever coming back, that breaking up with her was a mistake.

I am fine.

It was a chant repeating in her head but no matter how hard she kept shouting in her mind, her heart would suddenly break and her eyes would suddenly rain in tears.

Sam ended the call with Julienne, her eyes landing at a local pub. It was surprisingly quiet, but it was still ten in the evening. Probably this pub would be full at around midnight by insomniacs or night owls.