Chp. 29

The night Drew had finally opened up to me had brought us closer than ever before. I had expected her to be weird around me for a little while and refuse to hang out and talk, but it had been the complete opposite. She was attached to me, and not in the weird and clingy way, but in a good and loving way. I pinned it on the fact that it was because I had been honest with her that night in telling her I loved her. It hadn't felt like the right time at the time but... I was convinced it was now.

We were making progress, and that's all I really wanted.

But as the weeks continued to pass I wondered what Evan had wanted to tell Drew the day of the funeral. I of course had kept that conversation to myself and away from Drew, mostly because I knew she wouldn't take it well. I felt like I was protecting her whenever I had refused him to talk to her, but I was starting to grow paranoid. What if he had important information to tell her? What if Ronnie had left something for her before he had died? Was I preventing closure from her past? Would letting them talk even help her?

I tried to push the thoughts to the back of my mind but it was hard to ignore. I didn't want to withhold anything from Drew, but I had a bad feeling about Evan.

"Miss Breanna?"

I was torn out of my thoughts, looking down at the tiny girl in a pink leotard. I knelt to her level and tried to act as happy as I could, "Yes Morgan?"

She looked timid, and I didn't blame her. I was still considered new, and the children weren't used to me and Maria yet, although most of them loved Maria regardless. I envied her for their immediate approval.

"Why do you look so sad?" the little girl asked, and I felt my heart pull. I knew I shouldn't be in this mood while I was helping but I couldn't help it.

I smiled sadly, and then decided to play it off the best I could, "Because I don't have a cool pink leotard like you."

I watched a smile spread on the little girl's face, her nose that held a line of freckles wrinkling. She wasn't any older than five, but her smile was contagious. She laughed, "You can have mine."

I joked, pulling her into me and picking her up, "I don't think it'll fit, but thank you. Now dance with me!"

I held her on my hip, holding one arm out like you would with a dance partner in a ballroom. I spun her around and she giggled, making me see that this internship was actually really good for me. This is what I loved more than anything, and I hoped I could inspire the young girls and boys I taught to love dance as much as I did.

Then I heard Maria call out from the front of the studio, "Morgan your mom's here!"

I set the little girl down for her to grab her tiny dance bag, smiling, "See you Friday?"

She nodded, "Yes ma'am."

Then she ran off, her tiny feet padding along the floor of the studio. I smiled to myself, watching Maria guide her off of the studio's steps and to her mom. The little girl really had brightened my mood, and I was glad I had agreed to stay a little later today. Usually I only helped with the young children till six, but I had agreed to stay later for the teens from six to seven-thirty. Maria had a date, so she wouldn't be staying but I didn't blame her.

But I would see Drew later because she had agreed to pick me up, and I was counting down the minutes.

The older girls started filing in as Maria waved me goodbye, leaving me with the other instructors for the night. I was excited to work with them considering I hadn't before, and shockingly enough some of them actually recognized me.