The Symbols

There was a loud crash, and I guess I screamed. Before I knew it, I found myself crouched in a corner, hugging my knees. My heart raced, and my eyes were fixed on the lance.

Everything happened so fast. Leo rushed towards me, but then another scream caught his attention.

That's when I noticed Sophie in a corner, trembling just like me, her eyes fixed on the lance.

Leo, who usually wore an unreadable expression, now looked at both of us with wide eyes.

He approached me first, asking, "What...what just happened?" I couldn't find the words, so I pointed to the lance, feeling helpless.

Then Leo seemed to remember something, and his expression turned blank. He took my right hand and did something unusual.

Gently at first, he clutched my wrist and started drawing a circle with his other hand's thumb. The pressure increased with each circle, and it hurt so much that I tried to break free. I looked away, biting my lip until I tasted blood.

I remained in that position until I felt Leo release my wrist. Looking at it, I was left speechless. Half of me was scared, and the other half was fascinated.

On my wrist was a symbol blazing with an orange colour. It looked painful like my hand was on fire, yet it didn't hurt as much as I expected.

Leo rushed toward Sophie and did the same. She nervously examined her wrist. Leo stood up suddenly, nodding with concern in his eyes. Sophie approached me, holding her wrist a bit far, and I finally saw it.

She had a symbol as well, but it wasn't blazing orange like mine. Instead, her hand sparkled like shining crystals, reflecting cool shades of blue and white.

This time, Leo brought two different lances and handed one to me and one to Sophie without saying a word

This time, Leo brought two different lances and handed one to me and one to Sophie without saying a word. I glanced at Sophie before gripping the lance. It was heavier than anything I'd held before.

Somehow, I lifted it as easily as picking up a pen. The lance emitted the same fiery light, and an orange flame filled its grip where my hand was, just like before. But this time, it didn't hurt, and I didn't let it fall.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Sophie doing the same, with a mixed blue and white light emitting from where she held the lance. Confused, I looked at Leo and managed to ask,

"What does this mean?"

"Do you feel it?" he dodged my question. Confused, I looked at Sophie, who raised an eyebrow at Leo. "Tell me, how did you pick it up?" he asked.

"We picked it up like we always pick up things. Get straight to the point. What do you want? And you haven't answered my question-what is the meaning of this?" I said, growing furious with his cryptic talk.

"Okay," he said, dragging the 'k,' pacing with his head bowed. Abruptly stopping, he looked directly at us.

"Listen carefully. I know I should have told you earlier, but I had my reasons to keep silent."