Chapter 8

Lilly

"I'm sorry, Gears," I said quietly.

I turned my head to him as he stared at the water, his face serious and his body tense as he leaned back on his elbows and exhaled deeply.

"Sorry for what?" he asked without looking at me.

“I should have contacted you sooner... I wanted to explain, but Dad told me to let it go and not make a fool of myself. Act grown up, he said,” I replied.

"What?" he asked.

My eyes traveled over his face as he looked at me now, and I saw the confusion on it.
"I'm sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I just wanted to make it personal..." I replied.

He sat up and still looked at me questioningly, his eyes fixed on mine with an undefined look.

"I...I don't understand," he said, stuttering.

"It was a tough time for me...just before you came, something happened in my life. I was very hurt and confused...I'm actually not the one to be helped and you saved me. I'm sorry I didn't thank you sooner," I said as he furrowed his eyebrows.

"Who hurt you so bad?" he asked me, which made me pause and look at him.

I had already stored everything I wanted to say in my head, but his reaction just made me stare at him.
"What?" I asked quietly.

"You said you were hurt and messed up. Who hurt you?" he asked again.

"I...the story is too long. Never mind," I answered, aware that no one around me, apart from Ivy, was ever really interested in me.

"I have time," he replied as he leaned back again and I followed his movement.

It was embarrassing to tell him everything...but I had to. Not for him, for me.

I wanted him to know that I didn't always need to be protected. That I was once independent and wanted a career. That I had friends and a great sister who supported me.
I explained to him that I have a very tense relationship with my father... and after the separation from Chris, there was no support in the family that was supposed to be there for me. Just like I was for all of them... the whole community, for years.

"You know you deserve to be protected as well, not always the other way around," he said.

"Anyway now...I'm done with it," I said quietly.

"With this Chris guy?" He asked, to which I laughed.

"It's been a long time since I'm done with that," I replied. "I mean Dad...I left the Coyotes," I added.

"Oh...and what are you doing now?" he asked me with interest.

"I'll stay here until the wedding...after that I don't know," I said.

“Stay here,” he said immediately, whereupon I looked at him and he seemed surprised himself.

"I don't belong to the community. I know how it works, Gears," I replied.

"Elijah," he said briefly, to which I looked at him questioningly. "My name is Elijah. You don't have to call me Gears," he added.

"But everyone calls you Gears," I said to him.

"As you said, you're not from the community," he replied with a smile.

"You should laugh more often. You have a beautiful smile," I said as I looked at his mouth.
He shook his head looking at the ocean and took a deep breath.

It's strange when you tell someone about yourself and they really listen to you. What a feeling it is when they understand you too... I was completely honest with him and he didn't judge me. He didn't laugh at me, or call me immature. It seemed like he would exactly know what I meant and how I felt without me having to say it directly.