Chapter 11

Chapter 11

Vince:

“WHAT?!” Dave screamed as I talk about my engagement with Liz. Luckily, our professor was out for a sick leave so, we don’t have to worry about his noise.

“Ssh, don’t let anyone know about this okay? Yeah. That’s what happened.” I replied. He scuffed his head. “Alright, I know this is kind of sudden but I have no choice, Grandma will surely insist Elaine if I said no. You understand right?”

“Shut up! I’m not thinking about that!”

“Then what are you thinking of?”

There he is again with his ‘detective look’. “I’m thinking about how Liz could possibly say yes with that.” He looked at me, suspiciously, though. “Maybe she has really fallen for you, don’t you think?”

Impossible, I thought. She hates me and I know that very well. No, she’s not and she never will.

“By the way,” Dave continued “where is she? It’s almost lunch break. Is she sick?”

My eyes widened after hearing that question from Dave. Taking a deep breath, I answered,” Actually, it’s my entire fault.”

He slapped me directly at my face. “You killed her?!”

“Ouch! Of course I didn’t! Are you nuts?!”  I answered back, rubbing my palm gently on the spot where Dave slapped me. “Something happened yesterday.”

“Something happened already?! Oh my gosh Vince, I didn’t know you can be that perverted.” Said Dave, shaking his head.

I punched him. “Will you let me finish first before jumping into your non-sense conclusions?” I cleared my throat. “I asked her for lunch yesterday after the meet-up with my father and her parents. In the middle of our lunch, Elaine called. I thought she was in danger or something, so I hurried myself to see her.”

“And then?”

“Unfortunately, I forgot to tell Liz that I was going. I left her at the restaurant. I did come back, but she’s gone…and paid our bill.”

Dave gulped and grabbed me. He was hugging me so tight that I can’t breathe. “You’ll always be my best friend Vince. I will never forget you.” He was even faking a cry.

I pushed him away. “What do you mean?”

He closed his eyes, took a deep breath, held my both hands and said, “The reason why she’s absent is…she’s planning how to assassinate you.” With a loud voice, he screamed, “YOU’RE GONNA DIE VINCE!!!!” And he began hugging me and faking those cries again.

His voice was so loud that we got everyone’s attention in the class. Everyone’s looking apprehensively at us. I was embarrassed, of course, but…what if he’s right? NO!!!! So, I hugged him back and cried for myself.

“Dave! I don’t want to die! Do something dude! Do something!”

I can feel his head shaking and can hear him sobbing, “Don’t worry dude. I—I’ll die with you!”

We are acting like fools but we don’t care. Oh my, I don’t wanna die. Everybody was silenced when the door opened and entered Mr. Richardson, our Music professor. Dave and I exchanged looks that say ‘we-can-do-this-dude’ as we return to our respective seats.

Music is the last subject before lunch break. Sigh. Liz, where are you?

Liz: