Chapter Eighty-Two "Pencils and Paint"

I had to applaud Leah for keeping her composure as well as she did. I knew very well how much she was eager to get underway on our little expedition due to her blossoming feelings for the young Mr. Nassar. Yes, I decided it was best to keep everything very formal with Owen under the circumstances. No matter how many times I had told Leah that I had no interest in him aside from friendship, her young emotions would take over and run rampant with possibilities that weren't there, if he paid me too much attention.

We patiently waited for Freddie and the elder Mr. Nassar to head into town. I forgot to ask which town was their destination, but then my concern revolved around Leah and Owen. Once the carriage was past our gate, we excused ourselves while I did my best to find some painting supplies for Leah. In the abrupt departure from London, she had not taken the time to pack her own. Thankfully some of Emily's paints were still splashed around our home and I was certain she would not mind Leah using them.

I tried not to giggle as I packed a small bag with art supplies, Leah had taken to pacing and looking a bit frantic. "Don't fret," I smiled over my shoulder, "we're just going to practice a little . . ."

She looked at me, unease clearly on her face. "What will I do . . . what if he watches? I can't paint if he watches!"

"In case you haven't noticed, he's not one to hover." I stood up once the bag was ready and did one more look around the room. Remembering the painting smock that hung in my closet, I grabbed that and handed it to Leah. "Besides once you start, you'll forget everything around you and just concentrate on your art." I helped her fasten the back and then turned her to face me, "Breathe, relax and be yourself."

Owen was waiting for us in the entrance hall, he too looked anxious to get started. He had his own bag ready to go and I thought to myself that he was bringing his cartography kit, although I doubted that he would use it. As we neared the end of the stairs, he came towards us, "M-may I carry that for you?" he offered his hand and shyly looked at Leah and then turned his eyes to me as I had the bag.

"Oh thank you, Mr. Nassar, that is so kind." Once my hands were free I did my best to give Leah a little nudge towards him as I scooted around her, "Just let me get Jasper and we can go." I quickly walked towards the kitchen, leaving them a few moments to be alone, hoping that one of them would say something to the other.

Jasper was of course snoozing under the work table in the kitchen, so I took my time and looked around as Charlotte was busy making some tarts for later today, "What are you up to today, m'dearie?"

"I'm going to help Miss Edgehill and Mr. Nassar find each other," I smiled stealing one of the apple pieces from the bowl.

Charlotte smacked my hand lightly with the wooden spoon, "Those are for m'tarts!" she laughed, "now what makes you think they need your help?"

"They're two of the most shy people I've ever met," I said as I gingerly picked up Jasper, "but they're lovely . . . and I think they'll be lovely together." As I started for the hall again, Charlotte wiped her hands on her apron and followed me. We peeked around the corner and tried to see them. They both stood there, awkwardly not looking or saying anything to the other. I sighed and shook my head.

"Well, maybe you better help a little," Charlotte whispered with a wink, "I'll send out Reginald later with some refreshments. Where will you be?"

I gave her a peck on the cheek, "Garden's end, facing the beach . . . thank you."

It was a peaceful walk through the gardens, since both of my friends were still feeling timid with each other, I took Leah's arm and wrapped it around my own. I had a fleeting memory of when Percival had done the same to me right here in this very garden. I shook my head hoping the memory would jar, I didn't want to get distracted with my own problems right now. "You have such a lovely variety of flowers," Leah said calmly looking over the colorful blooms. I inhaled deeply and the scents brought another memory, walking arm in arm in another garden and my heart clenched. "Margaret, are you well?"

"Oh, yes," I grinned, straightening my posture, "my mother was an avid gardener." Leah was looking at me warily. I pointed down one path, "That is where we're headed."

Owen was obviously listening because he skirted around us and walked ahead. He looked around before calling to us, "What were you going to paint?" I felt Leah's hand tighten around my arm, but I nudged her. "I like to paint flowers," she said, her voice a little more certain than usual. I gave her hand a pat and we watched as Owen set up the small easel facing the flower beds. "Thank you," she smiled as she let go of me and moved towards the canvas that was now propped and waiting for her attention.

I stood there for a moment, watching her take her place and he stood at the ready to assist. They really were a wonderful match if they let themselves open to each other. My mind danced with other ideal matches that I knew and I saw Freddie enamored with Patience, Arthur whisking his Lucy away and Jonathon doting on Emily. Then I saw Hope with her Mr. Winchester, "Miss Woodbridge?" my breath caught at hearing my name. Owen was holding my sketchbook and pencils, "What will y-you be drawing?"

"Oh, I'm not sure," I sighed as I set Jasper down so I could accept my things, "I might just watch . . . " I noticed Leah's head look in my direction, "the water . . . I meant the water." I saw her breathe easy and continue getting her paints situated. As Owen turned back towards her, I took the opportunity to climb the large tree with the low broad branch that sat out from the other trees. It had been a favorite perch for many years, it wasn't high enough for Freddie to complain about my climbing, but it still let me feel like I was part of the tree. I stood with my body pressed against the trunk and just stood there looking over grounds until they dropped to the beach and the ocean beyond. I watched the deep blue waves lap against the sand, marveling how those colors called to me. I heard Owen and Leah talking a bit, hushed voices that I dare not try to intercept. So I closed my eyes and inhaled the fragrances wafting from the gardens mixing with the salty air from the water. It was a perfect scent for the moment, sweet yet sad as I tried to hold onto the feeling that I once knew that I had my ideal match.

Jasper barked a few times and stole my attention. Once he found his comfortable spot in the shade, I lowered myself to sit on my branch, continuing to look out to the horizon. Leah's voice was soft as it interrupted my daydreams, "Margaret, why don't you at least try to draw something?" I looked to her, her eyes wide with hope, "It might help."

"Yes, I should try," I nodded. "What happened to Mr. Nassar?"

"He said he had to work on his maps," she pouted a bit as she indicated that he was sitting quite a bit away from us.

I'm not sure if he knew we were talking about him, but he glanced in our direction. He smiled warily as a breeze picked up some of his pages and soon he was attempting to catch them. "I don't think he'll get too far," I tried to contain a laugh.

"I hope not," Leah sighed as she went back to her painting. I stared at the blank page in my lap, just letting the tip of my pencil rest against smooth ivory sheet. I tried to concentrate, looking about for something to draw. "Don't think too much," her voice sounded wise beyond her years, "just enjoy the drawing."

I smiled to myself and tried to not think of anything . . . just to concentrate on drawing. It was something that I had once thrived on, so I hoped that it would come back to me. Slowly my pencil began to move and I just let it lead. Soft marks became darker and shapes took on definite form. Before too long I saw a portrait beginning to appear. I clearly recognized the crooked smile and intense yet loving eyes that stared back at me, framed by those supple curls.