Don't Slow Your Roll

Marceline had been eating red stuff -and cereal- all the next morning.

"Hey Marcy-eehhline," he corrected himself. "Enjoying that red, huh?" Chad asked.

Her mouth was full of red apples and red... Crayons. "Mmmmmm! Yess!"

"That's good to hear, but would you slow down a bit? Y'know, before you explode. "

"Just one more... one more apple? Or-or one more crayon! One of each? Please?!"

"Fine. But just one."

"Of each?"

"Go ahead."

Marcy tried to savor the red crayon, draining the red slower than with the others. She did the same with the apple. "Ahh, finally. Still not satisfied."

"Really? how many of those things have you eaten?"

"Hmm, I had three crayons, four apples, a bowl of cereal, and probably five more crayons 'n apples."

"Where are they?"

"I ate the apples to the core and threw them away with the white crayons."

"You ate nine apples?!"

"Wait, I ate nine apples?! I had lost track."

Chad rolled his eyes," oh my gosh, child. You need help." He tapped her knee.

"Don't touch me."

He lifted his hand up and scratched the back of his head, "sorry."

"S'Fine." Marcy sat up. "So, what now?"

"I-"

"Ohh wait, what's the date?"

"Can't remember. Why?"

"Just go check! I lost track of the days and I think I might miss Bonnie's b-day."

"Hold up... where's my calendar... Ah, there we go. " He set it on a dresser in Marcy's temporary room. "Today is... March nineteenth. "

Marcy gasped and raised her hand to her mouth.

"Is everything okay?"

"Her birthday ...was yesterday."

"Oh glob. Marceline, I'm so sorry." He opened his arms. "Hug?"

She nodded and opened her arms. They hugged, Marcy's head in Chad's chest. She started to tear up. He looked down at her, "you okay?" She looked up at him, and he saw the tears. He brought her back in the hug, "awwe, come here, Marceline." Chad rubbed the back of her head. "It'll be okay. Ya know what?"

She sniffed. "Hm?"

"I'm gonna get you back. I won't worry about your dumb daddy. I might just have to face him on my own. "

Marcy looked up at him. "You'd do that for me?"

"If it means getting you to your girl, then yes. "

She smiled, "thanks. I guess you aren't that bad..."

"Once you get to know me? Naww, I'm a ray of sunshine. "

"Pfft, I wouldn't say that."

"Mm-hm. Wanna hear my plan or not?"

" 'Course I do."

"Okay, so mister fancy pants is going to leave again today, he's going to Earth. Not the part you and Bonnibel were on, like another part. I'm not sure what's up with his convoluted plan. But I can get you back when he's gone. Okay?"