Chapter 18- Making a Move

*Shailene's POV*

 It was the next day and Kendall came over again. I kept thinking, replaying the scene of yesterday in my head. His remark, 'friends don't kiss each other like that' was a fresh topic of my mind since last night and even when I got up this morning. I really enjoyed his company, he was funny and his smile was just so heart warming. 

 Earlier, he came over, he said it was just to get a 'daily dose of Shay' because these days it was necessary. Cute. I insisted he help himself in the kitchen while I called Andrew. I wanted to get this over with. 

At this point, I didn't even need to think. I liked Kendall...a lot. I already thought through excuses and reasons to tell Andrew why we needed to get this done. I rang his phone. It was picked up, this I heard a moment of silence. 

Then she spoke on the other end. 'Hey Shay.' 

'Why are you talking to me? Where is Andrew?' 

'Not here at the moment, he's...'

 'Melanie?' I heard Andrew call in the background. Did he not know that she was in his house now? 'Why are you...?' He lost his words suddenly. 

'Hold on,' she said to him. 'Shailene, I gotta go. Your boyfriend just realized I was waiting on him.' 

'Shailene? Give me the phone Melanie.' I heard him tell her. 

 Then, it just hung up. 

Just a moment after, Kendall returned with a yogurt and just propped on the couch and looked at me. I was still trying to understand something. Why did she just suddenly decide to go into bitch-mode and ruin my life? She could've just told me...actually no I might have called Vers to go all ninja on her.

 Kendall was still looking at me while I thought of so many things, contemplating, pressing questions into my mind. He asked me, 'Are you okay?' 

'Yeah, just...I don't know.' I really reaaaallly didn't care anymore about Andrew or Melanie, because I was seeing another open road, away from all the drama.

 'I...just need to get my mind off some things.' 

'Oh, well...I actually had some things to talk to you about...but I'm not sure ..'

 'Tell me.' I encouraged.

 'Actually, I wanted to carry you somewhere, like...you know...a..date?'

 'A date?' I smiled with relief. I thought it was something like he was gonna live on the other side of the world or something. 

'Okay, but where?'

 'It's a surprise. It's one right now. Be ready at three, I'm going back to my apartment to organise some things and then I'll pick you up?'

 Now, I didn't know what else to say besides agree. This was not really surprising, just a bit more overwhelming. He spoke up again. 'Well you need to get your mind of things right? I can't fix your problems, but you can share them with me. We'll just relax and talk it though or...anything.' He smiled. 

It sounded as if he was trying to convince me to go with him, even though, I had already agreed. 

*Andrew's POV* 

Melanie was in my living room...again. I had just finished with my bath and walked across the rooms to see her sitting on the sofa, with my phone at her ear. 

 'Melanie?' I called out. 'Why are you...' I couldn't find any words to ask her what she was doing. She looked beautiful. Her hair was let loose to hang over her shoulders and her eyes just gleamed and- 

'Hold on.' She just looked away from me and continued talking on the phone. 

'Shailene, I gotta go. Your boyfriend just realized I was waiting on him.'

 'Shailene?' I was confused and mentally kicking myself at the same time. Wait. 'Give me the phone Melanie.' 

I remembered that before the cat fight, the reason for me being present there was to apologize and make sure that she forgave me before I could tell her that I couldn't handle this 'relationship' anymore. Melanie was finally getting closer to me, and I liked that....a lot. 

She just hung up the phone and turned to me. 'Andrew...I'm sorry about that. It's just that you have no idea how long I've been waiting to do what I did that night.' 

'Really? Me too.' I smiled, Shay was on the edge of my mind right now.

 'Now,' she stood up and moved closer to me, grabbed my hand and pulled me closer to her and the sofa. When I was about to rest my hands on her shoulders, she pushed me down onto the cushions and straddled my legs with hers on either side of mine. 

Her short blue dress gave her easy access to do that. I really didn't want her to talk right now. She should've let her lips do the work here. Instead, as she opened her mouth to say something, I attempted to attach my lips to hers but she leaned her head back a bit to avoid it. 

We were then staring into each other's eyes.Then, she propped her elbows on my shoulders and looked at me and laughed. 'Andrew,' she began to ask, 'Do you really like me?' 

That took me back a bit. I did want her since the start, so I guess I knew the answer to that. 'Yes, I do.' 

We were still intensely looking at each other, it's been a while, just in silence.All of a sudden I could see her features loosen up from her concerned one when she asked me the question earlier. 'Well, that's too bad.' 

'What?' Did I just hear correctly? 'What did you just say?'

 'I said,' she repeated. 'It's too bad that you like me. You heard me right.'

 She eased off of me and shifted next to me, with one of her legs still strung over my lap. 'Melanie, but you're the one..what? Why? What changed? I will try to..' 

'Listen to me. I got orders for you at 6pm. I'm only gonna say this once.' She sounded so serious and proper and...Jared-like. Oh no. No. No. No. This could not be happening. 'You have no choice, you're getting this the easy way.' She moved her hair out of her face and smiled again. 'Jared gave orders and you have to come with me and not try anything stupid... for your own good.'

 I couldn't help the shock. I felt so numb. This was all some sick game she was playing with me for the past few days. She spoke before I could physically react. 

'Don't look so surprised Andrew. You should have known that sooner or later, this was going to happen.'  

Actually, I knew that. But, I definitely did not expect it to happen like this.