Chapter 15: Sadness and Happiness

Soundtrack:  Kiss It All Better – He Is We

I woke up to the sound of two people talking. I could feel that the world outside was already bathed in morning light but my eyes refused to open. Ipinasya kong manatiling nakapikit at ipagpatuloy ang pakikinig sa usapan nila.

"I don't think she's going to school." Boses ng isang binatilyo. School. It was very irresponsible of someone not to go to school. He might miss lots of big things in just one day.

"She needs to rest longer. Mukhang pagod na pagod sya nang dumating kagabi," sagot naman ng isa pang boses na pagmamay-ari malamang ng mas nakatatanda pang lalaki.

I was starting to realize my surrounding now and the images from last night were beginning to flash on my mind in order. I couldn't believe that I slept here in the tree house with a stranger.

"Then there's no way I'm going to school. I'm so tired, too. I've been dealing with my stupid seatmate and boring teacher for a very long time now."

That was when I decided to open my eyes and sat up on the bed facing the two. One was sitting on the floor and the other one was on the desk, probably writing.

"Good morning, Hetta," bati agad ni Wycliffe. He was a handsome young man in his school uniform.

"Anong oras na?" Seryoso kong tanong.

Sabay-sabay kaming lumingon sa wall clock na nasa taas ng pintuan ng tree house. 8:30 in the morning. I was supposed to be at school by seven o clock. How could I be so irresponsible? Ibinaling ko ang paningin ko kay Wycliffe. It was 8:30 in the morning. Why was this little devil still here in the tree house?

"Does this tree house look like a school to you?" Tanong ko. His smile was still plastered on his face.

"I know what you're thinking. It's not what you think it is. I have good grades. I'm one of the top students in my class. Not the first but who cares?" He said defensively.

"You're supposed to be in your class right at this hour," wika ko. Subalit suot niya ang kanyang uniporme. Maybe he wasn't feeling okay. "May sakit ka ba?" Mabilis akong tumayo mula sa higaan at lumapit sa kanya. Sinipat ko ang kanyang noo at nakahinga nang maluwag nang masiguro kong normal ang kanyang temperatura.

"I can't find any reason for you not to attend the class today," I finally told him.

Tumingin siya sa taong nasa desk na tahimik lang na nanonood sa amin at saka muling ibinaling sa akin ang kanyang paningin. "Well, you're not attending school today, too," wika ni Cliffe. 

Yeah right. I missed school today. I could stand here and talk to him about some things he shouldn't follow about me but I decided not to. Bumalik na lang ako sa higaan, umupo at tiningnan siya. Ilang minutong nanatili sa amin ang katahimikan hanggang sa magsalita ang tao na nasa desk. Pinapanuod niya lang kami all this time and I couldn't read what he was thinking.