chapter 34✿

It had been three weeks since i've seen or spoken to Michael. It was beginning to feel somewhat normal for me not to have him around. After all, I lived apart from him for almost five years. I couldn't help but sometimes wonder what he was doing, or who he was with.

"May?" Luke breaks me out of my thoughts.

"What?"

"Do you want to?"

"Want to what?" I ask.

"Go to Cora's party tonight. I know it's the first party since Michael moved back to Melbourne and if you don't want to go that's fine because we could stay home and watch and movie and―"

"Luke, it's fine. Of course I want to go. My life didn't stop just because Michael moved away. He moved and there's nothing I can do to change that." I say honestly.

"Okay well, it's a surprise party for Cal. So make sure you don't tell him." Luke says.

Calum and I had gotten pretty close over these past few weeks. Him and Luke were almost as close as Luke and Michael are―were; so he's been over quite a bit.

"I won't tell him."

"You're positive you're okay with going?" He double checks.

"Yes, Luke. I'm not broken. I'm not some broken little china doll that fell off the shelf and needs her body pieced back together after it smashed." I say, and furrow my eyebrows at my own words.

"That wasn't a very good analogy." Luke laughs.

"I know. But it sounded so much better in my head." I shrug and laugh too.

"Okay well, I need to go to Calum's. Cora said I have to bring him over at ten o'clock sharp. She's such a control freak." Luke says.

"Hey." I swat him arm. I don't like him badmouthing Cora.

"Kidding." He smiles and leans in the give me a kiss.

Over the past few weeks, Cora and I have really gotten closer. She was the closest thing to a best friend I have, other than Luke.

"See you at ten." I say as he leaves.

I quickly go upstairs and lay out my outfit for the party. I decide on my distressed denim shorts and a plain black halter crop top. It made my boobs look amazing.

I quickly hop in the shower and wash my hair and body. After my shower, I apply more makeup than usual. After all, this is a party. I apply foundation with a bit of concealer and a light powder for my face. Then I wing my eyeliner on my eyelid and apply fake eyelashes, coating them with a coat of mascara. After my makeup is done I put on my outfit. I look in the mirror and quickly straighten my hair. I look pretty good if I do say so myself.

I grab my phone and check the time. 9:45pm. Where was Brooke? She was supposed to be picking me up. As soon as I thought that, my phone buzzes.

From Brooke: Here :)

I had gotten fairly close with Brooke as well. We had gone to lunch a few times, and shopping too. I'm glad I have a friend to go back to school with, seeing as school starts in two weeks. The summer had really flown by.

I put on my shoes and walk outside, locking the door behind me.

"Hey." I say as I get into the passenger seat.

"Hey! Sorry i'm late, my little brother was having a meltdown." She says.

"Oh my god is he okay?"

"Oh yeah, he's fine. He was just bawling over how he lost his soccer game. He's six." She explains with a laugh.

"Understandable. I used to cry when I lost soccer games at that age too." I laugh. "Michael and I-" I stop at the use of his name. I hadn't talked much about him over the past few weeks, and people knew better than to mention him to me.