Attention

I just migrated from London to the states .. two days of unpacking and the next was my first day at my new high school. I was dreading it .. making new friends all over again, joining clubs, getting to hand with my studies while trying to adjust to my new environment was going to be a task I didn't know if I could bare to stand.

"You ready Aaliyah? for your first day at high school" my mum teased.

"no not really" I mumbled under my breath

"oh c'mon they'll love your English accent - making friends will be a breeze - now smile for the camera" my mum sang

She had this obsession with taking a photo for everything new I started, school, dance club, dance tour, choir, even my first job ffs.

I was 17 year old girl who was antisocial and loved her home, but now because of my mothers new career and partner I've had to change what I know best and be dragged out of my comfort zone, I'm come to a socialites heaven ... the U.S. of A .. greaaaaat.

It's not that I didn't like the states.. it was more so I was home sick ... I missed my friends - even though I knew that they no longer would be my friends - skyping and face timing was useless because of the time zones, trying to remember my old life was becoming tedious in a matter of 48hours.

"Okay mum can we go now" I asked as I got in the car.

"This week you need to join atleast one club I've already put a deposit on your new car that you can drive next week.. and..."

as my mum began to babble in the way to school I started to zone out as I started to get butterflies
"what if I'm the kid that gets bullied"
"kids my generation are harsh"
"omg I'm not going to survive"
"I wanna go back home"
The over thinking kicked in and Id already thought of the worst by the time we got there - 20 minutes drive and I was contemplating the quickest way to find some money and buy the first ticket out of here.
"and we are here sugar plum" my mum grinned
"have an amazing day honey, I love you"

"love you too mum, byee" I waved
she stared at me for me to go in as if she could read my mind saying "run as soon as she drives off" - until I stepped through those doors she drove off.

"Pick you up at 4" she texted me.

I ask a couple students for what direction the school office was in.

"I can take you there since I'm on my way now" a girl smiled to me

"Really? Thank You so much" I giggled

"I love your accent, so you're from England?... I'm Robyn by the way"

"Yeah born and raised in London, nice to meet you - I'm Aaliyah"

"Pretty voice, pretty face and pretty name" she cooed

"Thank You" I blushed

"So what's your ethnicity?" she enquires as we took another left down the hallway.

"Oh I'm of Cuban, Jamaican and Korean heritage, what about you"

"Oh Italian and Trinidadian"

"What a mix" I smirked

"Mhmmm you can speak, together we are like a culture gathering" she laughed

"So we are here" she pointed out

"Thank You again Robyn"

"See you around girl, I'll come find you at lunch" she hugged me

I made my way in the office and showed them my papers, I was then taken to a classroom.