Chapter 9

*** Two years later ***

Emily's eighteen birthday had arrive. Everyone was preparing the big party. It was tradition that all members from the pack be present. That way, was easier to find the respective mate. Since all pack would be there, they decided to have the party outside. Carol looked around with pride. Since she mated with Matthew and lived in that house, she passed most of her free time placing beautiful flowers along the green land. Matthew helped her, maintaining the grass perfectly cut. Carol saw Marc and Luke approaching the backyard.

"Great! You arrived just in time to help me place the tables." She said, laughing at their faces expressions.

"I told you, we should have come later." Luke complained, starting at Marc.

Carol looked around, trying to spot Kyle.

"Where is Kyle?" She asked confuse.

Marc balanced his weight on his feet and looked at the ground, uneasy.

"What?" Carol asked since both males were silent.

"He can't come..." Luke finally said.

He saw his sister fuming with rage.

"He can't come?? I will show him if he can't..." She strolled in the direction of the pack mansion, all the time muttering angrily to herself.

When she was at the front door, she knocked as hard as she could, to let Kyle know that a very pissed mama wolf was there to put him in his place. She couldn't care less if he was her Alpha in that moment. He was behaving like a ten year old boy and not the man that she knew.

Moments later, Kyle opened the door and let her in.

"Why the hell do you refuse to go to your mate's birthday party?" She asked, her voice filling all his gigantic house.

Kyle's wolf surfaced with the way Carol was speaking to him. He was the Alpha and he expected respect from his pack's members. He pierced Carol's eyes with his grey ones.

"Carol, I understand that you want the best for Emily, but so do I. Did you stop to think that she could be better without me?" He asked her earning a scold from the female wolf.

"Why do I have the feeling that you are afraid of her reaction?" Kyle remained silent. He didn't want to admit that he was scare of a possible rejection from Emily. But the truth was that he knew he had been hard on her. She was young and he knew he had many girls when he was her age. It was only natural that she wanted to be with boys, but his wolf had a different opinion and it was impossible to control him at times.

Carol sighed and turned to leave. Before she closed the door, she tried to soothe his fears.

"Kyle, she grew up looking after you. I doubt she could choose other men over her true mate."

"I'm not so sure about that..." He muttered to himself while heading to his study.

Emily was in front of her mirror looking at the dress she had on. It was white with a blue belt defining more her curves, her waist. She had the built of a werewolf female, strong muscles but at the same time elegant. Her long blond waves were falling in her back graciously. She had asked her mother to help with the make up and she had to admit, she looked beautiful. Her green eyes were sparkling. Today was a big day for her. She would be able to finally find her mate. She already knew that Brandon wasn't hers. He was Laura's mate and she was happy for them. Since that night at the party, both Brandon and Emily thought it would be better to be just friends so they wouldn't hurt their mate. Of course they continue to thought they were till Brandon's birthday. Since then, he had just eyes for Laura. Emily was too nervous and anxious to find hers. What if he was ugly? What if he had someone else?

Millions of hypotheses ran through her head making her dizzy.

"You are more beautiful than a entire garden." Carol said a tear appearing in her eye. Her mother was always emotional in this kind of situations.

When it was Jackson eighteen birthday she cried till her eyes dried out because her little boy was an adult and soon would find his mate and move to another house.
He found her, a girl from his class, Susie, and they moved to a new home in the pack. For Jackson that always said he wouldn't want a mate, he was deeply in love with her. Now he was a warrior and was happy with the life he had. Everyone was asking the couple if they wanted pups and they would always change the subject. They were not ready to take that step.

Emily looked one last time at the mirror and went with her mother downstairs. All her friends from her school were there. Laura and Brandon were hugging each other in a corner. Marc and Luke were talking with her father in the living room. Kyle was nowhere to be seen.

Since that night he was avoiding her like the plague and she felt disappointment to see that even in this special day to her, he wasn't there. She masked her emotions and looked around trying to see if one of the other males present was her mate. She didn't feel the impulse that her mother had talk about.

She looked at Carol.

"My mate is not here." She said.

Carol knew he wasn't but gave her a reassuring smile.

"You will find him, I'm sure of it." Her mother said.

Carol didn't understand why Kyle stop visiting them. Since the night her daughter shifted for the first time, his visits stopped. He was so stubborn.

Emily went to talk to her friends and Carol went to her brother, Luke.

"I don't understand why the Alpha is hiding from Emily. He waited eighteen years for her and now he doesn't show?" She was pissed.

"We honestly don't know but give him time. He will come around." He replied confidently. He knew it was a matter of days or weeks till Kyle decided to see his mate.

"I really hope so." She replied concerned.

"He can't ignore her all his life." Marc said.

They didn't know the reason but they knew he wouldn't resist the mate bond for long. He couldn't.

"Of course not. Emily wants to be a warrior like her brother. At school she loved the gym classes where she learned how to fight, so eventually, Kyle will have to deal with her. She even asked me for some help to train her for the trials." Matthew said.

Marc and Luke turned to him, surprised. Emily a warrior? Sure they had females fighting with them but they knew that Kyle would deny Emily to join the others. The only way for that to happen would be if she passed the trials without their Alpha knowing.
Marc smiled to himself. That would be perfect, the best way to join Emily and Kyle at the same house, making both lose control.

In that moment, Emily approached the group.

"Happy birthday beautiful." Marc said giving her a kiss on her cheeks.

"We heard that you want to join the warriors." Her uncle Luke remarked.

"Yes. I think is the best place in the pack for me." She replied with confidence.

"We will make the tests next Monday, for the new werewolves that want to join the warriors to select the best ones. Be at the pack house at nine." Marc said serious.

Her smile grew bigger.

"Great!! I'll be there." Emily said hugging them.

Kyle was in his study thinking about Emily. Now she would be able to know that he was her mate. The man that yelled at her and basically called her a whore. The worst part was when he said that her mate wouldn't want her someday because of her behavior. He said that when he was angry but he knew the words hurt her and he couldn't bring himself to see her and apologize. Rejection was not possible. The bond was too sacred to be broken but there were werewolves that chose to live with another instead of their mates. He couldn't think about Emily with another man. The pain was excruciating. He breathed deep. He had to focus on his work. He had to plan the test to the werewolves that wanted to be warriors. Not all of them could enter, just the best.

Kyle returned to the task and put his trouble mind out of his mate.