t w e n t y - t w o

Bye Bye, Ballsy
+
t w e n t y - t w o

The arena reeked with the stench of fair food and cigarettes. The smell didn't bother me, however. It was almost comforting. I had a lot of chain smoking relatives.

"And for you, sweetie?" An elderly lady asked. Her face was kind and her hair was pulled back in a low bun, but not tight enough to hide the spiral curls. She pushed the butt of her cigarette against the ash tray with a tattooed hand.

"Uhm, a size seven, please," I smiled.

"Size seven? Your feet are bigger than that," Harry stated. I looked at him with wide, offended eyes. "I'm sorry, does your self worth lie in my opinion of your foot size?"

"And what if it did? I'll bet you'd feel pretty stupid about now." He tried to hide his grin, rolling his eyes. "If you must know, I got them a size smaller because these roller-skating places tend to run a size too large." He nodded.

"Should I change my size?"

"Just wait and see," I instructed, taking my skates and nodding at the kind lady, walking away.

We took a seat on small benches sitting around. A few parents had brought there children and there were a few older couples zooming around the room.

"Good lord," I muttered as I took off my shoes. "How big are your feet?"

"What?"

"You could tie your knees together and be a mermaid with those things. Or a clown, you know, because you wouldn't have to buy the big shoes; you already have them."

"What's your point, Flynn?"

"That your feet are massive," I said, pursing my lips.

"You know what they say about the size of a man's feet, don't you?" He smirked.

"That his ego is ten times bigger?" I responded with a grin. He looked up, seeming to consider it.

"You know, they don't say that, but it's probably true." I laughed as he pulled his old, worn brown skates on his feet, poorly tying them and trying to stand up.

"No, no, come here," I ordered. He nodded, leaning on another bench. "Put your foot up here," I said, tapping my lap. He threw his heavy skate onto my legs and I groaned, untying his shoes so that they wouldn't get caught in his wheels. I retied them both so that he wouldn't fall sixty-two times, I dropped his legs and he slowly stood up, holding both arms out for balance.

"H, have you every done this?" I laughed, watching him grip onto the table.

"What?" He looked over at me with wild eyes, hair falling between us. "Yes-Yes, of course," he quickly muttered.

I laughed, standing up and swiftly skating away from him to the actual arena. The area was not too busy. Bodies emerged from fog under black light as the loud rumble of wheels on a wooden floor flew past my ears.

"You know, I actually didn't get the chance to- oh f.uck-"

The sound of a body hitting the floor filled my ears and I quickly turned around. "Are you okay?" I chuckled softly, grabbing his large hand.

Such nice hands.

"Yeah-Yeah, of course I'm good. I was just- I was trying to tell you that I, uhm," he brushed nonexistent dust off of himself, "you look very pretty." I smiled. "I mean, I've not ever seen you, like, take more than twenty minutes to get ready." I laughed, nodding my head in thanks. "No, really, I mean, you look amazing every day but like, I've been thinking about monster trucks for a while because-"