10. DENIAL & DOUBT

• • • LUCIA • • •

   IT had been a day just like any other; except it wasn't just any other day, it was the first day back from the night of the party.

I had been completely thrown off all day, worried and caught up in anticipation as I awaited his presence; but it never came.

"Said he's sick, he's such a liar." Bill explained as we huddled against his lunch table amongst his friends.

"And he didn't tell you the real reason why?" I asked, "Nope, just said not to tell you anything." Bill smiled as he realized that he was disobeying his brother's pleads.

"Ugh, why would he not want you to tell me?" I began sucking myself into this Tom drama. It was pathetic once I realized how interested in his personal life and the choices he made.

"Never mind." I pushed up and off of the table, placing my hands in the air. Julia followed me shortly after, saying goodbye to Bill and the rest of his friends.

"Why do you think he wouldn't want you knowing?" Julia huddled close to me, clinking her heels against the tiled floors.

"Because he probably didn't want me knowing that he pussied out." I scoffed as we walked to a small round table in the corner.

"So he hit and ran?" Julia snickered at her joked, making me widen my eyes in shock at her words.

"Guess so." I shrugged, "Hey how much time do we have left?" I asked as an idea popped into my head.

"Umm... twenty minutes, why?" Julia could tell that something was up.

"Wanna skip the rest to go to Tom's with me?" I asked her with a grin upon my face, making her eyebrows furrow.

"Now hold on Lucia, why are you so worried about him?" I didn't even know the answer to this myself, "I thought it was just sex and-" something had clicked in her mind.

"Oh my God!" She gasped, "You like Tom!" I hushed her as the table next to us sent us looks, "Could you be any louder?" I asked.

"No, I don't." She stared at me, taking slow blinks.

The more that I thought about it, it seemed that it could be true. But i'm sure I was just a little attached after the sex, after all it wasn't bad (😉).

"Okay so i'm interested in knowing the reason to why he didn't come, so what?" She held smirk, "Oh you totally like him." I rolled my eyes.

"Coming or not?" I asked and she nodded as she followed behind me.

——

"How do I even knock?" I moved my hand into about five different positions, "Just-" She flung her knuckles against the door for me.

"Ouch." I flinched as I sucked the air in between my teeth, wincing for her.

We waited for about five minutes before we even heard footsteps coming downstairs, then the knob jiggled. His face sent me through spirals as I looked up at him, gaining memories of that night.

I shook my head in annoyance, "Hi."

"Hi." Julia also spoke, "Hey...?" We both stared at him.