29.

Chapter 29.

The ride home was-and I'm sure-filled with the sound of my beating heart.

I never knew anyone could make me feel so alive, so wanted, so...happy.

As my mother snored quietly in the backseat, I laid my hand across Xavier's thigh.

He glanced at me quickly before averting his eyes to the road, yet through the quick bursts of light from the lamp posts across his face, I could see his smile.

"You've gotten overly affectionate tonight." Xavier stated but I could hear the amusement dripping from his words.

"I'm allowed to be." I replied back. Xavier laid his hand over mine which was still on his thigh. He gave my hand a tight squeeze before moving it back to the gear stick.

"That you are." I could almost hear the smile in his voice.

Regardless of the fact my mother was being extremely cruel to Xavier, and being very unreasonable, it seemed to me as if it wasn't only myself who wore a smile brightly tonight.

The ride home didn't take that long at all, and before I knew it, we were parking onto the driveway.

However, even through the darkness of night I could see a silver car parked beside ours.

"Who's car is that?" Xavier looked to me puzzled. I shrugged in reply. I had never seen that car before.

Xavier shrugged in reply too before getting out of the car and going to the back doors. He opened them and quickly got my mother out of the car.

I went up to the silver car beside us and looked in through the windows. I couldn't see any evidence in knowing who's car this was. In fact, it was just too dark to see.

"Any ideas?" I heard Xavier ask from over the car. He lugged my mother out through the door by her shoulders and tucked her into his side. She was awake but not fully.

"Not a clue." I replied back. Xavier looked to me with his mouth to the side, unsure and curious. I felt the same way. "It could be my step dad, but I'm sure he drives a black jeep."

"It most probably is him then." Xavier nodded. "Christ, not another person to try and impress."

"You'll be fine." I smiled. My step dad was a little less cold and incredibly more inviting than my mother.

Xavier proceeded to drag my mother up to the front door. I unlocked it and we made our way inside.

The tv was blaring as soon as we entered, it was late but I knew my step dad didn't sleep much anyway.

It was weird seeing him home, my mother used to ring all the time to tell me she was lonely as he worked away most of the time. I guess it would be hard to be all alone in a house with no one but yourself for weeks on end.

Still, I didn't expect my step dad to be here.

"Shall I take her to bed?" Xavier cast his eyes downwards to my mother. I nodded my head. Bed was the best place for her right now.

With that, Xavier continued to pull her up the stairs until he was out of sight.

I opened the door into the living room. My step dad was sprawled out on the sofa, his eyes hooded as he watched the tele.

"I didn't know you were coming home." I stated as I made my way inside. My step dad's eyes laid eyes on me.

"I could say the same to you too. Your mother doesn't tell me bloody anything these days." He sat up and pats the seat next to him. I took his invitation and sat down beside him.