The Cellar (20)

Chapter 20

Summer's POV 

He slapped her cheek hard, the sound echoed through the room; Louise cried out in pain and held the side of her face as she fell to the floor. I couldn't watch this anymore; I couldn't stand here and do nothing like I did with the other girls. If he killed me too then that's fine, maybe he would be doing me a favour anyway. 

I reached out to grab another vase, it wouldn't kill him but that really didn't matter. My fingertips barely grazed the glass when Poppy grabbed my arm roughly and pulled me backwards. I struggled in her arms but she had a tight grip of me. Louise stood up; shaking slightly, her back and arms were pressed against the wall and her eyes wide with terror. I don't think I've ever seen anyone so scared before, she looks how I fell all the time. 

He stepped forward again but stopped and reached his hand up to his head. As soon as he saw the blood on his hand it started shaking and his body stiffened. Before I could blink he launched himself at Louise and started punching and kicking her continuously. She tried to block him with her hands but it wasn't working, he was too strong. 

I screamed and thrashed around in Poppy's arms, trying to get free to help Louise but she wouldn't let go. Rose grabbed me too and together they held me so tight I could barely breathe. 

Blood started pouring form Louise's nose and mouth, the blows to her body were deafeningly loud and I burst into tears at her painful cries. She curled up in a little ball on the floor as he kicked her in the side and back. He then grabbed her hair and pulled her up; she screamed in pain and gripped her stomach. He punched her in the face again and let go of her hair as she fell, slamming back to the ground with a loud thud. 

She seemed to gargle and spat blood out as she pressed the side of her head, whimpering in pain. He continued punching and kicking her. I was screaming and crying as I tried to get out of their grip. My heart was beating too fast and I felt sick. Why won't they let me help her? I wanted to shout something at them but I couldn't form words. 

He suddenly stopped again after about five minutes and wiped his face frantically, he must have felt the blood trickling down the side of his head. He stumbled backwards still wiping his face; he looked like he was going to be sick. I watched his face as he stared at his bloody hand; he gasped and ran up the stairs, slamming the door behind him. 

Rose and Poppy released me as soon as he'd closed the door; I ran over to Louise, she was lying limp on the floor. My hands were shaking as I reached out to brush the bloody hair out of her face; the blood was sticking it to her skin. Her face was red and swollen, her body was covered in cuts and her were eyes purple and swollen shut. 

I started crying harder. "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry," I whispered, putting my hand over the large cut on the side of her head and pressing down hard to try and stop the blood pouring out. 

Rose and Poppy very calmly grabbed all the cleaning supplies and another body bag and started to fill a bucket with water. I gripped Louise's hand and slumped down further on the floor with her. Would anyone know who she is? Would she get a proper funeral? 

Poppy laid the body bag down on the floor next to her and put her hand on my shoulder. At that point I just wanted to get in the bag with her, I wanted it to be over now, I couldn't take any more. I sat up straight and stared at Louise, she made a strange gargling noise and her fingers twitched in my hand. "Louise?" I whispered hopefully. Oh God she was still alive! "Louise!" 

"Rose, get the first aid kit!" Poppy shouted. Within seconds Rose appeared beside us with a small green box. There wasn't much in there, just a few bandages, some plasters and antiseptic wipes. Poppy grabbed the wipes and started cleaning her wounds. I kept pressure on her head as the cut was still bleeding, leaking out around my fingers. Rose quickly bandaged up the cut I was holding. I sat there just holding her hand, I had no idea what to do and I'd never felt so helpless in my whole life.