Chapter 10: Ms. Fieldmouse

It's been almost a year since I've posted a chapter of this fic, but I had to catch up on other fics like my Helluva Boss ones and drawings for other chapters I had without drawings. This is also to celebrate the movie's 30th anniversary.

Chapter 10: Ms. Fieldmouse

"Feeling better, my dears?" a female voice asked. She taste tested some juice from a carrot and smelled something baking in the oven.

The tiny girl and mouse uncovered themselves from the yellow green blanket that once covered them, taking in their new surroundings, finding themselves on a metal ladle with a thick green blanket, used as a "mattress".

Thumbelina sighed. "Where-Where are we?" she asked.

"In my kitchen," the female voice replied.

The kitchen wall looked orange brown from the lighting from the fireplace. In a pot, she was cooking a giant carrot.

"I'm Ms. Fieldmouse," the creature continued with a smile, "And we are snug and safe underground."

"We're-We're underground?" Thumbelina asked, puzzled.

"Welcome to the club," Poppy muttered.

"Yes, dearie, three feet under. I dug it myself with my own two hands." Offering the girls each a warm drink, Ms. Fieldmouse added, "Here, drink this."

"At least that toad won't find us down here."

"There's something I don't understand. Did you girls really think you could survive the winter in that old shoe? Ha, ha! Honestly!"

"I wanna go home," Thumbelina lamented, covering her face.

"Well, I'm afraid you'll just have to wait here til spring, Thumbelina."

Thumbelina and her best friend got out of the ladle. "You know my name!"

"How'd you guess?" Poppy asked.

"Oh, that was easy. I know much more. Like you were engaged to the fairy prince. Um, Cornelius, I believe?"

"Well, almost."

"Aw, that is so sad."

"What?" Thumbelina inquired, confused by what this strange fieldmouse meant.

"That he was found stone-cold frozen dead in the snow," Ms. Fieldmouse replied as she beat the carrot with her wooden spoon. "But of course you knew that?"

"No. Cornelius, no!" Thumbelina, stunned by Ms. Fieldmouse's words, dropped her warm drink and fell back onto the ladle, where she and Poppy once laid in.

"That is so sad."

"How could you?!" Poppy scolded.

"No, it's not true. No!" Thumbelina sobbed.

"Oh, Thumbelina, forgive me," Ms. Fieldmouse apologized to the still weeping Thumbelina, "Sometimes I just blurt things without thinking. You're still young, though. There'll be another."

Poppy shook her head, whilst comforting her best friend.

"He was perfect," Thumbelina said sadly.

"Nobody's perfect," was the cold, dismissive reply.

Poppy ignored her as she continued comforting Thumbelina.

"Cornelius was the only one..."

"Now, put this on," Ms. Fieldmouse interrupted as she tossed her a light red shawl. "We'll take these corn cakes to Mr. Mole." She took out a tray of corn cakes she baked from the oven. "He lives just down the tunnel." She even threw a dark blue shawl to Poppy.

Thumbelina and Poppy each put on their shawls.

"I'd rather not," Thumbelina told her.

"Me, too," Poppy agreed.

Ms. Fieldmouse used her apron to wave the steam off the corn cakes. "I saved your lives this very day and you'd rather not?" She placed her hand over her heart, as if she was hurt.

"We lost our friend this very day, too, and thanks to your big-"

Ms. Fieldmouse held up her hand, silencing her.

"Um, alright."

"Very well," Thumbelina agreed, just as submissive as Poppy.

"One more thing: Is it true that you have a beea-utiful voice?" Ms. Fieldmouse used her apron as "oven mitts", covering the handles of the tray.

"I don't feel much like singing."

"You must sing for Mr. Mole. He loves sweet things." Thumbelina and Poppy slid off the ladle and landed on the floor on their feet. "Come on. Mr. Mole LOVES his corn cakes."

"Cornelius was looking for me," Thumbelina sniffled, "That's what happened." She continued to sniff sadly as she headed out of the kitchen.

"Yeah, too bad I've never got a chance to meet him in person, Thumbelina," Poppy said despondently.

"Oh, Poppy, he would've liked you."