Once a player, always a player-Chapter 12

-Lexi's POV-

Shit shit SHIT. I thought to myself as we Zeta'd to the Warehouse. He saw the ring. Why did I still wear it? Because I was holding him to his promise. Part of me wanted to be with him forever, but the other, more rationally thinking part was afraid of being hurt. You know what they say. Once a player, always a player, right? Of course, maybe if I'd stayed, he wouldn't be a player, but still...

"That was fast." Robin commented as we walked over to join the rest of the Team.

"We were standing right next to a Zeta tube," Dick shrugged nonchalantly.

"Right. Batgirl, show them." Barbara searched something on the computer, and pulled up a screen showing the Queen of England shaking hands with the Reach Ambassador.

"The Ambassador decided to give the scarab as a birthday gift to the Queen of England. Apparently it was their plan all along."

"And this is significant because...?" Impulse asked. 

"Because if they manage to use mind control on the ruler of one of the most powerful countries in the world, just imagine what they could achieve." she explained

"But that makes no sense. It's not like the Queen has any real power." Superboy said. "She's just a figure head."

"Maybe their target isn't the Queen." Dick guessed. "Maybe they just want to get inside Buckingham palace."

"Nightwing's right." I agreed. "When are they presenting it to the Queen?"

"They already have. It's sitting in a display room somewhere in the palace."

"Move over a second Babs." I said, moving over to the keyboard. I typed something in, pulling up what I was looking for. "There. This is what they're aiming for." The page I had pulled up contained all of the details over the Queen's 86th birthday ball. It was a very intimate thing, with only close family and friends, and a few Members of Parliament.

"I'm not sure what you're getting at." Dick said, coming to stand next to me, looking up at the holographic computer. 

"If the Queen is having a 'party'," I began, using finger quotations around that word party, "then the Prime Minister would definantly be there. And wouldn't the more suitable target be the one with all of the power? He has more authority than our president does.  The Prime Minister is a legislator and the executor. Therefore, as long as he has majority rule in parliament, and considering the Prime Minister is the leader of the majority party, he can push through pretty much anything he wants. That's power."

"That makes sense!" Dick exclaimed, although most of the Team looked lost. "Jaime(Blue Beetle), is the scarab mobile when it doesn't have a host? Can it walk?"

"Yes." Blue confirmed. "That's how it bonded to me. But I had picked it up, and then it crawled up my arm and attached itself to my spine. My scarab says that he can only move if he's near a prospective host body."

"So, could the scarab be preset to only bond to a certain host?" He pressed, bringing us closer to an answer.

"Hypothetically, yes." 

"Then that's it!" I exclaimed. "I mean, if I were the Queen of England, and an alien from another planet gave me a gift, then I'd definantly want to show it off to my friend, Mr. Prime Minister."

"So they just needed to get it inside the Palace." Robin concluded. "Makes sense. Question is, how do we stop it? Do we warn them?"

"No... there's no way to prove it." Batgirl said.

"So we'd need to get inside. And soon." I zoomed in on the top of the page. "Because the ball is in two days."

"Alright then, easy. We break in. Buckingham Palace has to have about a billion air vents." Robin said, as if it was simple.

"Are you crazy? That palace has tighter security than the Tate Modern, and we all know how well that went." Dick said, sending a pointed look to me. I was about to roll my eyes at him and give a snarky remark, but he looked so... I don't know... but something flashed through his eyes like he was remembering something unpleasant, so I kept my mouth shut. "No breaking in."

"So we're doomed!" Miss Martian said with fake happiness. 

"Not quite." Dick smirked. "I can get us in through the front door." When we all gave him questioning looks, he elaborated. "I happen to be on the invite list. The Queen and I are... good friends." 

"Ew dude! Don't tell me you got it on with the Queen! I mean, I know you like older women, but... just no!" Impulse said incredulously. Miss Martian covered Beast Boy's ears. Dick's eyes grew, realising what he'd said.

"NO! It's not like that. I know her personally, that's all. It doesn't matter anyways. All that matters is that I can get inside." 

"Do you really think that it's wise to go in alone?" Superboy asked.

"You're probably right." Dick admitted. "That'd be risky."

"I'll go." My mouth reacted without any consent from my brain, and I was kind of glad it did.

He studied me for a moment, no doubt remembering how I disobeyed orders on the last mission, and how I'd brushed him off just minutes ago. But nonetheless, he said, "Alright, that's good. But I want Batgirl, Robin, Beast Boy, Impulse, and M'gann on standby in the bio-ship."

We went through an entire game plan, and when I was getting ready to go down into the workout room to spar with Connor, Dick caught me by the arm and whispered in my ear, "Wear something pretty to the ball." His lips brushed lightly against my neck, causing me that shiver. "We are going to be seeing the Queen, after all." That boy has me wrapped around his finger, no matter how hard I try to deny it.

---------------------------------------------

HEY GUY! I've been DYING to write this chapter and HERE IT IS! COMMENT AND VOTE!