Chapter 1: The Encounter

"Memories haunting her, laughter chasing her, sweet talks stalking her. Everywhere she go, everything she does, it all leads back to him." ― S G

...........

[Athena's Yvonne's POV]

I woke up in the middle of the night with my Mom wailing. I gently and slowly carried my limbs out of the bed and made my way to her room across ours, with the only dim light our night light provided.

My little sister is still sleeping and I knew she's exhausted and still has a jet lagged after long hours of flight from Brazil. We had to move since my dad's family is all against us and would not stop bullying our family. Now that my dad is gone, it will surely go worst.

Dad passed away three years ago and until now mom hasn't recovered. Since dad's passing, she started losing her appetite in eating, living and even lost her job since she can't work very well. She's always spaced out so the manager had to fire her.

And a year ago, she tried to kill herself. It was horrifying to witness her in the washroom, filled with her own blood from her slashed wrist. The blood was splattered all over the floor.

I just came from work that day, when I saw her in the washroom, bloody and unconscious. I and my sister thought we had lost her. But, thank God, she survived. Although for the three years, I felt like I lost her too. She was never herself. Gone the mom we know. The happy, carefree and loving mother.

For three years, my savings and all the money we received from dad's inheritance went into her medical expenses. Since she suffered from depression, and until now. The reason we left Brazil is to live our life away from my father's devilkin, with the only money left from his inheritance.

We don't know exactly how much is his inheritance, but we just accepted whatever they handed to us without a word. It would only worsen the gap between my mom and dad's sibling if we fought back.

Dad came from a rich family, but with 4 siblings and mostly snobbish. Dad was the second among the four. His older brother who was the CEO of the De Rossi Construction company and Dad as the Vice President, but mostly, on the site working.

I don't know what really happened the day he died. Some say he tried to help his brother, but then he was out balanced, throwing himself out of the under construction building 200 ft. to the ground.

Some speculated he was pushed and I knew the two had a heated argument the day before the accident. But, no one can tell what really happened that day. They just assumed it was an accident. But, in my heart, I knew it was all planned.

I know his brother wanted the company all by himself. Dad's family never like my mom because she came from a poor family. Dad's siblings have been indifferent to us. I never felt being treated as their blood, but a servant to them. Mom had tried to woo their affection, but it never happened.

After dad's burial, they gave the money, my dad's inheritance and from then on, we are on our own. I grew up hating them. Even my grandfather. He sees us nothing but a trash. Dad died not knowing how they treated us behind his back.

And since, I'm the eldest of the two, I became the breadwinner.

I had to work my ass off to make ends meet. Just yesterday, we arrived from Brazil to my mom's hometown. Athens, Greece. We are now living in her parent's house. A bungalow with three rooms. Nana and Dado were sleeping in the other room.

I saw her door was ajar. I peeked into her room and saw her sitting on her bed, with her shoulder shaking as she sobs. I walked in quietly and sat on the edge, reaching her. "Mom ..." I murmured. My heart clenched at the sight of her.