Chapter 79

Benjamin and Lainey followed a winding mountain trial. Much to her surprise, there were other people on the mountain. Campers, photographers and even a couple they accidentally stumbled upon doing something Lainey was sure was illegal.

A few times they stopped to take in the scenery. One time Benjamin had sat on a rock and Lainey almost had the courage to sit on his lap.

Almost.

Come on, Lainey she told herself. He's practically your boyfriend now.

Couples hold hands, don't they?

And Benjamin no longer hesitated to take her hand into his as they hiked up the mountain.

They stepped into a clearing and Benjamin sat at the base of a tree.

"We're stopping again?" Lainey asked.

"You're hungry," he said, grinning. "I can hear your stomach."

Oh God.

"Maybe a little," she said, sitting down next to him.

He pulled a water bottle and a bag of nuts from his backpack.

"It's cliche but it helps," he said, handing her the food and water.

Only when Lainey opened the bag and ate a handful nuts did she realize how hungry she was.

"Better have some yourself before I eat them all," she said before severely regretting her stupid, stupid words. "Oh . . . I-I'm so sorry."

"Relax, it's okay," he said. "Believe me, if I could enjoy food like I used to, I'd join you in a second."

Lainey narrowed her eyes at him.

"So what exactly happens when you eat . . . regular food?"

He shrugged.

"Well we don't need the sustenance and we can't taste food so eating would be more of a habit . . . or boring pastime."

"I'm so sorry," Lainey breathed. "God, I don't even feel right eating in front of you now."

"Lainey, I haven't enjoyed food in over sixty years. I promise you, I'm fine."

"Okay . . . ," Lainey said warily, as she dipped her hand in the bag for more nuts. "Still don't feel right about this."

"Maybe I'll enjoy food again one day." He looked at Lainey and smiled. "Meeting you has been . . . a miracle. In more ways than one."

Lainey quickly turned away to hide her blushing.

"Stop it," she said, smiling. "So cheesy. God."

After a few moments, Lainey gathered the courage to ask something that had been on her mind.

"So . . . what exactly did you mean earlier . . . when you said that love was the reason you left home the night your family was . . . you know . . . "

Benjamin sighed.

"Remember the girl I told you about? Mirabel?"

"Your sort of girlfriend? Yes, I remember."

"Well . . . she and I had a date that night. We were going to the cinema--"

"You can spare the details," Lainey said with a smile.

"I left home that night even after Mother forbade me to. I felt terrible after doing so. I had never disobeyed Mother before then. But I remembered Father's words. I had thought I found love. True love. The kind that is predestined before our existence . . ."