six

"How did you propose?" Camila bit her lip. The small girl sat on the floor of Maia and Toby's living room, with Lucas next to her. The small boy was busying himself with Camila's shoelaces.

"He put the ring on a rose and when he handed it to me, the ring slid down onto my finger," Maia laughed softly. "It was literally perfect." Camila furrowed her eyebrows, scooting forwards and taking Maia's hand to look at her ring.

"How much did it cost?" Camila looked up at Maia, who simply giggled. Camila furrowed her eyebrows and glanced at Toby. "I am serious."

Toby laughed, looking over at Maia before bending down and whispering something in Camila's ear. The small girl gasped, cupping her hands over her mouth and looking up at him in shock. "Are you serious?" Toby nodded. Camila let her shoulders drop.

"What about the wedding?" Camila asked hesitantly, scooting back and holding up a toy to keep Lucas occupied. Toby and Maia exchanged questioning glances.

"We were just planning on eloping once we found out about Lucas," Maia shrugged. "But you know my dad. He and my mom planned a huge wedding. Flowers and fancy dresses and all," she rolled her eyes.

"This one took it upon herself to splatter paint the train of her dress," Toby laughed. Camila looked over at Maia, who wore a proud smirk.

"You can take the girl outta' the art but you can't take the art outta' the girl," Toby laughed, leaning over to ruffle his wife's hair. Camila giggled from her spot on the floor before pulling a sleepy Lucas into her lap.

"Why all the marriage questions, fuchsia?" Toby looked back over to Camila. "Did Lauren pop the question?"

Camila furrowed her eyebrows. "Pop the question?"

"Like did she ask you to marry her?" Maia laughed softly, explaining the phrase to the smaller girl. Camila shook her head slowly.

"Just thinking, that is all," the small girl shrugged and turned back to making funny faces at Lucas before the couple could question her any further.

About an hour later, Lucas had managed to fall asleep on Camila's stomach as she lay back on the carpet. Camila herself had nearly dozed off when Maia knelt down and nudged her shoulder.

"Lauren asked us to drive you home. Do you mind carrying him out to the car?" the small brunette asked, giving Camila a soft smile.

Camila nodded, sitting up carefully and holding the sleeping child against her chest. Maia extended a hand to help the girl to her feet, earning a thankful smile.

Carefully supporting Lucas with one arm, Camila held her backpack with the other and followed Maia down the front steps of their small patio. She gently laid the sleeping baby in his car seat and managed to buckle him in without disturbing his slumber, which earned a congratulatory high five from Maia. As soon as Camila slid into the passenger seat, both girls were on the road.

As they were driving, Camila eyed Maia's hand that rested on the center console. Gently, she reached out, looking up at Maia for approval and slowly slipping the ring off of her finger. Camila studied it in the light.

"That is a lot of money for such a little thing," Camila laughed softly, sliding the ring back onto Maia's finger and sighing softly.

"Is there something you wanna talk about, Mila?" Maia raised an eyebrow, pulling into their small neighborhood. Camila shook her head, too nervous to make eye contact with the other girl.

"I'm only a text away, yeah?" Maia turned to Camila after pulling into her driveway. Camila nodded, giving her a thankful smile. She hopped out of the car, holding up a finger to signal for Maia to wait.