54. Testimony

It was as if her nightmare was becoming reality when Vienna was summoned to the Fortress to testify before the council the following week.

Her father stood proud by her side, "We will get to the bottom of this Vienna."

He was serious, so often her nickname came from his mouth that she realized he was set on proving her innocence. He had no doubts. Her emotions had been high since her nightmare and when she told him of it sure it was some warning he didn't count her as foolish.

The ride to the Fortress was fraught with worry, and it did not fade as they found themselves escorted to the council chambers when arriving at the Fortress.

"That girl should be in chains for what she's done to my daughter!" A screech was heard at the other side of the room, and Vienna winced at the sound.

Her dark brown eyes sought out her antagonist but found her nowhere in sight. Instead, the man she knew as Lord Nesrin and a pretty woman Vienna recognized as Adeena's mother stood pointing in her direction.

"Order!" The king spoke loudly and Lady Nesrin sat back down still glaring in Vienna's direction. "Now that all have arrived we will proceed with the matter at hand. We have a testimony of one commoner that he was instructed by Lady Vienna Thorne to attack and kill Lady Adeena Nesrin." The king turned his noble head toward Vienna, no hints of her Uncle Wolf anywhere only a king trying to find justice, "What have you say Lady Thorne?"

"I wasn't aware of such an event until this moment." Vienna raised her head high, "And I certainly did not incite anyone to hurt Lady Adeena Nesrin, I have no reason to."

"She lies, your Majesty. Adeena has told me how this girl has sought to speak ill and bully her."

Vienna pursed her lips, how ironic. Adeena was the one who thought Vienna was a thorn in her side. Vienna would rather forget that Adeena even existed.

"How can one girl's spiteful comments be missable in court?" Duke Winden Thorne stood, "What evidence do you have other than your daughter and the criminal trying to evade punishment?"

"We will adjourn for now. The council rules that no sentence will be carried out on Lady Vienna Thorne until the case is thoroughly investigated. For now, we ask Lady Vienna to stay at the Fortress in custody until you are proven guilty or not guilty."

"I will not permit my daughter to be separated from me."

The king nodded, "We will make accommodations for both Lady and Duke Thorne until the matter is settled."