chapter 40✿

Michael's POV

I've been standing outside of Luke's house for over an hour, trying to decide what to say. I don't know how to put into words what I want to say. Before I know what i'm doing, I knock on his door. He opens it and I am shocked at what he looks like. Luke never looks like this. He's in long black soccer shorts, an old t-shirt, and no quiff. He didn't quiff his hair―that's how you know somethings wrong. Cora was right, he really hasn't been out of bed all week. His eyes widen when he sees me and he takes a quick step back.

I laugh lightly. "Relax, i'm not gonna attack you."

"You did every other time." He barks.

"Can I uh―can I come in?" I ask.

"Just go home, Michael. I have nothing more to say to you." He says as he begins to shut the door.

I put my hand on it to stop it from closing. "But I do. I have more to say."

"What makes you think I'd give a shit to hear what you have to say anyways?" He asks.

I was a bit taken back by Luke's aggressive tone.

"Well I'm just sorta hoping you do." I lower my head.

He stands still for a minute before opening the door and gesturing me to come inside.

"Make it quick." He says sternly.

"What? Got somewhere else to be?" I laugh, momentarily forgetting where are in a fight. I clear my throat and start what's going to be a long and all over the place apology. "Luke, I really don't know where to start. I'm sorry. About everything. I was never mad about you being with my sister. I was just scared that if you two were together you'd―I don't know, forget about me. I know it's childish and I can't justify my actions but, I can spend the rest of my life apologizing for them." I knew I sounded so dramatic but, it's just truly how I feel. "I was so out of line. I should have never made you choose. And you don't have to."

Luke furrows his eyebrows. "What do you mean I don't have to?"

"I'm saying go. Be with May. You've changed her, Luke. She's happy now. She hasn't been this happy since we were kids. You made her her again. You love her and she loves you. Who am I to stand in the way of that." I sigh.

"So you're saying I can be with her and still be friends with you?" Luke asks to clarify. 

He probably thinks i'm a psychopath. One day i'm in here screaming at him and pushing him, and the next day I'm telling him to date my sister. I didn't understand myself either but, after that conversation with Cora, my eyes opened up to what was really happening here. 

"Yeah. That's exactly what i'm saying. You both deserve to be happy, and you deserve that happiness with each other."

"You're not gonna punch me every time you see us together?"

"No. I'm so sorry for the way I treated you. I honestly can't believe I even hit you. You're my best friend, Luke. You're my brother." I lower my voice at the last part.

Luke smiles slightly. Even though it's a faint smile that's barely there, it's something.

"You're so cheesy." Luke laughs as he pushes my shoulder.

"Shut up bro i'm trying to be nice here!" I laugh and push his shoulder back.

"You sound like you're apologizing to your girlfriend or something."

"That's the last time I apologize to you for anything." I chuckle.

Our laughter dies down and we look at each other.