4 This Failed

Colton~~

After pulling me aside and expressing his emotions quite clearly, Erik has me call the rest of the Order in the limo to come inside the hospital. Sebastian, on Erik's orders, frees Iris from the straps.

While we wait, she glares at me.

The Order arrives, and Erik, assuming the task of pushing her chair, leads us to Iris's room.

I know Jonas will be in there, and since Erik did not let him know we're here, I'm going to experience all of my brother's emotions. His shock, his anger, his wrath. I'll see the betrayal in his eyes and on his face—I don't know which one I dread more.

I've been trying hard to ignore the pain I'm causing him and to think only of the good I'm doing for my country. And even though I want the position of Preeminence, it doesn't mean I don't feel regret or guilt at what I'm doing. I can't even say I want things to go back to the way they were, because at no point since we were initiated and became the Order have things been perfect.

Jonas's head whips up when we step into the hospital room. The slideshow of emotions I expected does not pass over his face. Not even a single emotion appears. His lips do not frown or smile. His eyes do not widen or narrow. He just stares at us as if he's been in that spot staring out at whoever crosses his path for centuries.

The longer I stare back, it becomes clear that I am seeing an emotion, or at least his response to my betrayal and whatever he assumes by the members of the Order I have brought with me.

Riley, Eli, and Brydan stand behind Jonas. Eli keeps his head bowed.

"You may like to know that Eli's phone is dead." Jonas's voice is cool, solid. His eyes shift from me to the Iota, Percy, on my left. "I see you didn't heed my warning, Percy, about paying attention to who the recipients of your messages are. Next time you send a message to Eli, make sure it isn't in a group chat that includes Riley.

It feels as if a string with rocks attached at the end has been laced around my heart. He knows. He knows what we were planning.

"Treason?" Jonas says. "No. Mutiny. I see you all are pirates now. How exciting."

Erik wheels Iris away from us and to her bed. She pulls herself out of her chair, holding onto the edge of the bed. She remains standing. She's always stronger than I give her credit for.

Jonas's eyes settle back on me. "Erik has caught me up on what you and Seong-ho attempted in their hotel room. What am I supposed to do here? What you all have done gives me the right to remove you from your positions. But how can I replace my entire Order, save for the Eta, all at once?" Riley the Eta forever loyal to his favorite cousin.

"I know we run a country," Jonas continues, "and I know you think I'm some lovesick fool, but I left you in charge to go after a threat to the Society. I didn't leave the government abandoned like you all have."

Enzo shifts beside me. "Our fathers—"

"Have retired. When will you assume responsibility and realize we're running this country? I know it. But clearly you all are still trying to figure that out and have yet to realize that not every threat demands we kill it." His eyes flick to Iris. I expect her to be smirking, basking in our lashing. Instead, she's frowning, but not in what appears to be disappointment but rather sorrow.

"All of you, but Colton, leave," my brother orders.

Erik tries to help Iris into her wheelchair, but she refuses the chair. He instead walks her to the door, but she pauses when they reach Jonas's side and whispers something to him. Jonas presses his lips into a thin line.

Riley, Jonas's favorite, closes the door behind them, leaving me and my khaleedi, my brother, alone.