Him and Me- Forty Eight.

Colby’s mother was a beauty. She had short, blond hair that framed her face perfectly, and those green eyes were bright, very much like her son’s own. She was also tall and slender, and I could just tell she was one graceful woman.

Tears sprung from her eyes as she dropped her bag on the porch, and grabbed Colby into a hug.

“Oh, honey, I missed you so much!” She cried out.

Colby must’ve stood there for about five seconds before he uttered out again, in that same shaky, disbelieving tone, “Mom?”

I took a step back, one hand over my mouth. My heart thumped inside my chest, their beats filled with awe and joy. I could not believe that Colby’s mom was standing in front of us. When Colby finally snaked his arms around his mother’s waist, I almost burst into tears.

“You’ve gotten even taller!” Colby’s mother exclaimed. “And so, so handsome. Oh dear, I missed you!”

They stood there for a long time, just hugging each other, and I watched. It was such an intimate, lovely moment and I was so happy for the both of them.

That was why Colby’s mother wasn’t answering my Skype calls. She was on her way here, to surprise her son.

When I called Colby’s mom about a week ago, I had to admit I was anxious. After all, I didn’t know if she would really like me, despite Colby’s assurance that she would. I got her number from Susan, and I told Susan of what I wanted to do. All I had planned was for Colby to see his mom on Christmas day, via Skype. I had no idea that his mom would be coming all the way here to Chicago. I was stunned, possibly as much as Colby was, but absolutely delighted that Lea Mariano was here, in the flesh, hugging her son as if he was her lifeline.

“Mom,” Colby whispered, and it was the most beautiful sound I had heard. This time, my tears seemed to have a life of their own as the streaked down my cheeks. I sniffed quietly, wiping at the trails they left.

“Lea?”

Colby’s mother looked up and a smile curved her lips, despite the tears running down her own face. “Susan!”

Susan’s mouth opened in surprise, and it only took her a second before she ran past me and grabbed her sister in a tight, fierce hug, leaving Colby sandwiched between the two women. He didn’t seem to mind though, and was still holding on to his mother like a leech.

It made my heart feel full.

Rob and my mother appeared soon after, and my mom squeezed my shoulder. I turned to look at her and saw that there were tears in her eyes, too.

“Beautiful,” she said quietly, and I nodded in response.

I couldn’t have agreed more.

Susan finally let go of her sister, and spun around to face us. Her eyes were shining as she pointed a finger at me.

“You, young lady, are amazing,” she declared, before charging towards me and grabbing me in a hug. I was genuinely surprised—after all, this wasn’t my doing. Colby’s mom was the one who shocked us all by coming here.

“I didn’t do anything,” I replied quietly, hugging Susan back. She shook her head and pulled out of the embrace.

“Actually,” Lea piped up, making us look to her direction. She finally stopped hugging her son, but her arm was tucked securely around Colby’s. My boyfriend still had the awestruck look on his face, not taking his eyes away from his mom, like she would disappear if he blink.

“I was thinking of visiting my son this Christmas, because I miss him so much.” She paused, then she smiled at me.

Lea smiled at me.