01. earth bound

Chapter Song- Jungle by X Ambassadors

I stared out the only small window in my cell. That small window being one of the only things that kept me sane.

"What are you doing ?" my cell mate and best friend, Octavia, questioned from where she sat on her bed. Octavia was the only other thing that kept me somewhat sane.

"Trying to pretend I'm not stuck in this hell hole." I grumbled, closing my eyes as I leaned my head against the wall.

"Probably not going to work." Octavia retorted, shooting me a grin as I opened my eyes and gave her a sideways glance.

A year after I was locked up Octavia became my cell mate. She was probably one of the best things that ever happened to me. She understood me better than anyone else. She had gone through the exact struggles I had growing up. We were the only two people on the Ark who could relate to each other's circumstances.

"Why don't they just float me early?" I muttered, pushing myself off the cold ground.

"Avery, stop it." Octavia groaned "I don't want to talk about getting floated okay?"

"It's going to happened soon, Tavia!" I argued, "I turn eighteen in less than a month."

"Yeah, so for the next 4 weeks just shut up about it." she teased, shooting me a wink.

I let out a small laugh, opening my mouth to shoot back a smart remark. However, before any words could leave my mouth, the door to our cell swing open aggressively.

"Prisoners 255 and 256 face the wall." a guard ordered, marching into our cell with another two guards behind him. With the door open, I could now hear a commotion taking place outside of our room. I craned my neck, looking past the guards to see all of the cell doors were open, kids being pulled from their rooms from all directions

"Woah, woah just wait what's going on?" Octavia demanded.

"Face the wall." The guard sternly repeated.

I nervously looked toward Octavia, giving her a slight nod before turning towards the plain grey wall.

"Stick out your right arms." another guard demanded, setting down a small metal box beside us.

"Tell us what's going on." I pleaded, turning my head to look back at the men.

"Right arm." the guard ordered, ignoring my pleas.

I let out a shaky sigh, reluctantly sticking out my arm. I knew it was better not to fight.

Octavia did the same, and soon enough metal bracelets were snapped onto our wrists. I flinched as the metal pinched my skin as it felt like something was stuck into my wrist

"This way." the guard instructed, ignoring the look of discomfort on my face as he grabbed onto the upper part of my arm. Another guard did the same to Octavia who met my eyes with a worried expression.

"Are you going to tell us what's going on." I asked as we emerged out into the hall, being met with the scene of dozens of kids being ushered down the corridors.

"Maybe you got your wish." Octavia muttered as the guards pushed us down the hall. The two of us were then pushed into a long line of teenagers. I craned my neck attempting to see what we were being lined up for. When I couldn't see anything I sighed and rejoined Octavia back in line.
"I can't see anything. I don't know what's going on" I huffed looking down at the band on my wrist.

Octavia grabbed my arm, pulling me with her as the line began to move. "Guess we're going to find out soon."

Eventually the two of us made it to the front of the line.

"Names?" A lady with a tablet asked, looking between Octavia and myself.

"Why do you need to know.?" Octavia sassed.

The lady did not look impressed as she let out a sigh, "We can do this the easy way or the hard way, you chose."

"Avery Collins and Octavia Blake." I butted into the conversation, very well knowing Octavia was not about to take the easy route.

The woman typed something into the tablet before directing us down a tunnel which led to a ladder. I could only assume the ladder led to some kind of ship.

"Go strap in" the man at the door ordered. I was right. We were on some kind of ship, along with what looked like the rest of the juvenile prisoners.

I froze at his order, why would we need to strap in unless- "We're leaving the Ark." I announced in a daze.

"What?" Octavia almost shouted.

"I think they're sending us to Earth." I repeated, almost stumbling over my own feet as we were directed to our seats.

"No! That's impossible. How could they send us to Earth when it's not even inhabitable for another hundred years!?" Octavia looked like she was going to throw up.

"I have no idea Tavia." I breathed as I lowered myself into one of the empty seats. "But I guess we're going to find out."

As I strapped in I though more about what Earth would be like. I resisted a smile as the thought of being free filled my mind.

"Let's go to Earth." I whispered.

/// So this is the first chapter! I Sorry it's short but I just wanted to give you a little taste of Avery's life before she was sent to the ground! :)

Please vote/comment and tell me what you think :))