Draco Malfoy

Requested by Ginger_Queen_

(A/N This one shot ended up pretty depressing. I hadn't meant for it to be that way but it was based off a headcanon and the headcanon was pretty depressing on its own so that's how this ended out. I personally don't really like depressing one shots because they tend to end with the guy dying, but that doesn't happen in this one and I think the depressing part of this makes the cutesy part of it rather nice. Anyway, I hope you guys enjoy this one-shot. (-:)

The Battle of Hogwarts had been a legendary event. It was in every newspaper, on every mind of ever wizard and witch, on every conversation in the wizarding community. It was everywhere you walked, faint echoes in the buzzing community that hid within the muggle streets. You struggled to continue within the wizard community, reverting to using your magic in secret as you built a separate life in the muggle world.

You had been a seventh year student when the battle had begun, by the end of it you felt immature compared to the others who had fought. You'd spent the entirety of the battle locked against your will in the dungeons with the others in your house, by the order of Mcgonagall. You sat on the dungeon floor, listening to the raging war above. You listened for what felt like days, you listened to the screams, you listened to the booms and crashes of deadly spells, you listened to the cheering when the war had ended.

You listened to the weeps and desperate screaming as the dead were found.

You listened, absolutely helpless, as your friends fought and died above you. Locked away, unable to help, unable to save them, unable to do anything.

Once you were released, you were allowed back on the surface. Surrounded by depression and death. Wandering through the crying families and lifeless bodies, until you were forced to stop. As much as you wanted to keep walking, to run, you couldn't move. You stared at her tan face and blonde hair, stained with blood and brightened unhealthily with death. She stared into the sky, the sky she'd loved so much to fly through, her blue eyes no longer bright with her smile. Your legs collapsed and you fell to the floor beside her, screaming and crying as you shook her body. They had to drag you away, it took three adults to pry your clinging hands from your friends body.

It wasn't a death eater who killed Jess. It hadn't been Voldermort who'd killed her. It was Mcgonagall, who'd left her to fight alone without her friends. Who'd let her prejudice cloud her mind. Mcgonagall killed Jess, and for that you would never forgive her.

You lived on, every day, surrounded by wizards and witches who supported her and her prejudice. You left, disappearing from the wizarding community and entering the muggle world. Living alone in your quiet apartment, surrounded by pictures and memories you were too sentimental to throw out.

Within your secluded, dark lit, new life you received a letter. You weren't entirely sure how they had found you, all your friends were dead, lost to the war you weren't able to fight.

The letter encased an invitation to a funeral. Fred Weasley. You hadn't even remembered seeing his body within the mass you found Jess, but you could vaguely remember a red head and his curly haired friend helping pull you away from her. It was difficult to see anything through the blurry tears and your stinging eyes.

You looked to the urn that sat on your mantle. Jess hadn't had any living family and had left all her belongings to you when she died, the boxes carrying the contents of her all too short life still lay shut in an empty room, with a closed door that was never opened. Jess hadn't had a proper funeral, only your crying in your living room left to comfort her resting soul.

Staring at the delicately painted ceramic urn covered in the brightest colors - just like Jess's smile - you decided, Fred deserved a proper funeral. He deserved to be honored by all of his friends, even the most minor ones, Jess hadn't gotten a proper funeral with her friends and family celebrating her life, only a sad girl too depressed to see how selfish she was being.