Love at First Letter - 35

Chapter 35

We arrived in South Carolina very early in the morning. Brett had wanted to take the earliest flight back home. His parent's had both hugged him goodbye once he had all of his things packed. He said the hardest part was leaving his sisters but that they understood why he wanted to leave. Plus they could always come in visit.

Brett didn't have too many things to move into the house and I was over the moon that we would finally be living together. Johanna and Cara are moving out and I could feel our friendship slowing growing apart. We've all been busy with our jobs and me with Brett, it's put a strain on everything but if we're meant to be best friends we'll work it out.

"I love you." Brett came up behind me, wrapping his arms around my waist and pressing a kiss to my neck. I turn in his arms and smile wide up at him telling him I loved him too. "Let's go out tonight."

I nod my head and ask, "Where would you like to go?"

"I know exactly where I want to go."

"And you're not going to tell me?"

"You know me so well." His lips press onto my forehead and my eyes flutter shut. I could smell his cologne on him and feel his heart thumping beneath my hand. When he pulls back and wrap my arms around him and press my face into his chest. "You know, I don't think I'll ever get tired of telling you that I love you."

"And I don't think I'll ever get tired of hearing you say it."

"Promise me something," I tell Johanna and Cara as they prepare to leave. They had been looking at apartments lately in downtown Charleston and had already bought one before I had decided to have Brett move in with me. I was sad but we all knew that Brett and I would like our privacy. "That we stay friends. I know these last few months I haven't seen much of y'all but I miss you and I want to get together as soon as possible."

They both nod and agree. "We've all just been so busy lately. But all friendships are tested at some point. We've just got to get through it. You're career took off and you have a serious boyfriend. Cara and my careers are just starting to take off. So maybe when we're all settled and have some free time we'll have a house warming party and you and Brett can bring some booze with you." Johanna says to me.

"Agreed." I pull them into one last hug each before they carry the last of the boxes out to the moving truck. I smile and wave goodbye to them as they jump into their cars and follow the moving van down the road. I wave until I can't see the car anymore and then go back inside the house where Brett is leaning up against the door frame with his hands crossed. I raise my eyebrow at him but he just smiles at me and picks me up in his arms and carries me over the threshold.

"Wear something nice tonight." Is all Brett says as he pushes me into the bathroom to take a shower. I can hear him shutting dressers and moving stuff around but when I turn the water off and step out of the tub I hear the bedroom door close shut. When I open the door and peek into the room, still wrapped in my towel, I see that he's no longer here.

"Brett?" I call out to see if he's in the house but I guess he left. I don't worry about it and instead I get ready. 

An hour later I was ready to go. It was getting late and I knew the sun would be setting any minute now and still Brett hasn't arrived back. I didn't know when he planned on getting ready and when I went to call him, his phone went straight to voicemail. I throw my phone down on the bed and return to the mirror. My hair is softly curled and my makeup is light but compliments my red dress. I strap on a pair of black heels and pick up my clutch, which only has a little bit of money, my ID, some lip stick, and my phone.