The Principles of Byun Baekhyun

Seclusion was something few sought comfort in. Others often strayed from the concept and the thought of being lonely and alone, but sometimes odd flowers like to bloom in places others would not. If people were to describe Byun Baekhyun, class introvert and isolationist, "flower" would've been the last thing on their mind if asked what they thought of the boy. Rather than a flower, they would have most likely described him as a weed, stubbornly sprouting through the cracks of concrete, which could've symbolized the natural norm of society.

It wasn't as though Baekhyun was weird in a physical sense. Many have admitted that if he wasn't so into the alternative, Byun Baekhyun would actually pass as the most wanted guy around. However, Baekhyun wasn't one to conform. He didn't care if the girls complained about barely seeing his eyes when he talked to them (if he really needed to). It wasn't his problem, nor should they have cared so much.

In a mental sense, Baekhyun wasn't stupid. Being an outcast for his brains was not a primary reason. In ranks, he was average. If he truly wanted, he could've climbed up the rank ladder and perhaps secured a spot in the top ten, but frankly, he didn't care for his name being grouped next to other people who he didn't care about either.

Baekhyun didn't care about a lot of things. Everything around him was like a dull, unsharpened pencil, and he hated wooden pencils that needed to be sharpened. Baekhyun used mechanical.

If people were countries, Baekhyun was like the United States after the First World War: an isolationist. Everyone else could fight over what country they represented whether it'd Britain, France, or Russia. Baekhyun didn't care. They were all European countries. He was the United States. He wanted nothing to do with them.

He doesn't necessarily understand when he started closing himself off to other people, but before he knew it, Baekhyun was sitting by himself during meals with nothing but his music and cellphone to keep him company. Oddly enough, he liked it that way.

Nobody really tried to talk to him unless they had no other choice, because although he wasn't close and intimate with any of them, he'd sometimes agree to help them with math or science. His grades in those subjects said "dumb", but everyone knew it was only because Baekhyun never cared to do any of the assignments or put any effort in the tests.

Byun Baekhyun actually had brains, but he didn't care to share that fact.

-

-

Why anybody would even take an interest in him, Baekhyun would never understand.

As he sat in the corner of the classroom alone, listening to his phone with his buds plugged in his ears during a passing break, a large shadow loomed over him. For a while, Baekhyun didn't even notice. It took a hand tapping on his shoulder to snap his attention up.

The sight that stood before him caught him off guard. He had seen the individual around school often since it wasn't hard to miss him for his size and Baekhyun knew that he was a basketball player just from all the eavesdropping that he did. Other than that, Baekhyun couldn't figure out what purpose the giant beanstalk had with him. If he was like everyone else, Baekhyun had the idea.

"Math or science?" he said platonically as he only bothered to take one of his ear buds out of his ear.

"Date."

Blanking out for a second, Baekhyun took a moment to render what the giant could've meant. "Date..." he repeatively muttered. "It's a Thursday—"

"That's not what I meant," the giant jock said.

Baekhyun kind of wanted to punch the grin off the male's face. Asshole probably thinks he's being funny, he thought. Feeling as though it was just a "joke" hosted by a dusty joker, Baekhyun rolled his eyes as he turned his attention back to his cellphone. He put his ear bud back in and jacked the volume back higher.