t h i r t y s i x

Much to everyone present's surprise, not only did Drew not end up being grounded for the remainder of his natural life, but Kai didn't end up dead either. Christie had just listened quietly as Drew loosely explained everything (sugarcoating everything to the extreme) before her lip wobbled and she burst into tears. Drew sighed an held out his arms in preparation to being hugged within an inch of his life, but Christie went right by him and dragged Kai onto her lap, cooing and petting his hair while thanking him for saving her baby.

Drew was mildly offended. "Next time I get kidnapped I'll remember this," he muttered.

Blake snickered and dug an elbow into his side. "All's well that ends well?" he said with a smothered laugh. Drew glared at him.

Aaron had been the only one of them with a brain and had decided to head home before they had to tell Christie, in case she took all their heads off and stuck them on pikes outside her door like in Skyrim.

After she was finished treating Kai like a kitten, she released him and stood up from the kitchen chair she had been sitting on. "Well, I better get started on dinner. Drew, you should go talk to your father." She pinched Kai's cheek as he went by and giggled like a schoolgirl.

"This way, Hero of Mine," Drew grumbled as he pulled a thoroughly loved-up Kai toward the stairs that led to the bedrooms and the pit known as Devon's workshop.

"The ninth step creaks," he warned just as Kai stepped on it and it let out a long squealing noise that sounded more like a pig dying than wood that needed some oil. Kai jumped back and nearly fell down the stairs before Drew grabbed his shirt and heaved him back up. "How did you survive my house before?" he asked. "Goodness knows you've been here enough."

Kai scratched the back of his neck. "I took the steps two at a time."

"Did you now?" Drew said dryly. "This way, and for God's sake don't touch anything or you will kill us all."

"No pressure," Kai squeaked.

Drew put his hand on the knob that led to Devon's laboratory and Kai balked. "Maybe I should just stay out here?"

"Nah, you'll be fine," Drew said as he dragged him into the room.

***

Blake stayed downstairs, feasting on some of Christie's cooking. "-and then we kissed, and it's all just one giant mess," he finished.

Christie nodded. "Looks like you're in quite the pickle."

"And to make matters worse, now Drew thinks we're sleeping together, which we're not, but that means he's gone absolutely bat shit crazy! No offense," he added quickly.

"I know how Drew can be," Christie said. "But if you're asking my advice..."

"Sure, lay it on me," Blake said, breaking a cookie in half.

"I think you're doing the correct thing. I know you, Blake. I know how you work, and jumping into a relationship is not you. But-" she held up a finger as Blake started to interrupt, "-people like Aaron? They don't like waiting. They're incredibly impatient so," she winked at Blake and sipped her tea, "don't keep him waiting too long."

***

"Dad? Dad, where are you?" Drew called, waving a cloud of smoke away as he walked into Devon's workshop.

"Eh? Drew? What are you doing here?" Devon called, popping out from behind a smoking machine. "It's dangerous in here!"

"Dad, we gotta talk," Drew said, coughing. "Have you met Kai yet?"