Chapter 30

"Come on you know everyone has to be out of their rooms during visitor hours" one of the workers reminded me as she walked past my room. It's officially been two months since I've been in rehab and I still hated every single damn person here. 

I made my way outside looking for a bench to sit on under the tree. I hated visitor weekend. 

"Hey you" I heard someone call but I didn't bother turning around, considering I didn't have anyone come visit me. "Mind if I sit here" the same voice called out. 

"Sure" I answered nonchalantly to boy who was circling the table.

"So no visitors today?" he began to converse.

"Nope!" I said popping the P.

"I've seen you around, no one actually comes to visit you" he continued to ask.

"Are you some stalker and what's it to you" I answered back with sass. 

"Nothing just curious why you haven't gotten any visitors since you got here" 

"And how would you know that" 

"Because I watch you"

"Creep!" I shouted beginning to get up.

"I volunteer here on weekends ok" he shot back defending his actions. "My names Ethan by the way" he said extending his hand.

"Izzy" I said sitting back down.

"Sooo Izzy now will you tell me why you don't get any visitors" he asked staring me down with his gorgeous green eyes.

"I actually asked to take my family off the visitors list" 

"Why" Ethan contained asking away.

"If you must know, I just didn't want to hurt them anymore. I mean they're already paying for me to be here why should they have to see me too" I answered bluntly.

"I'm pretty sure they want to see you. Obviously they care about you if not they wouldn't have sent you to rehab" 

"Yeah well I don't see it that way" I said fidgeting with my thumbs. "So why would you even want to volunteer at a rehab facility on the weekend" I asked changing the subject.

"This place helped my mom get clean" he answered truthfully. "Yeah all my life she was to busy chasing her next high instead of taking care of me, when I turned fifteen she finally got clean only to later find out she had cancer. She passed away within six months, but I owe this place so much for giving me a loving mom even if it was for a short while" Ethan spoke somberly. 

"Oh wow. My grandma passed away from cancer too. Its heart breaking seeing them suffer like that" I added placing my hand over his in consolation.

"Come on why don't you come help me set out some more refreshments and I can get to know you better" Ethan shot up from his seat motioning for me to follow him.

~~

Weeks later

For the past few weeks, I've been looking forward to seeing Ethan every weekend. I guess since I haven't really payed attention to anyone at this facility having a friend now makes the weeks go by faster. Slowly this place has stopped feeling like a jail and even my counselors think i'm making progress in my sobriety. I promised Ethan that i'd play him something on one of the guitars if he'd bring me junk food this weekend. 

"I got the good stuff" Ethan cheered as he made his way toward the same table we meet a few weeks ago.

"God you have no clue how much i've missed hot cheetos" I laughed reaching for the bag full of junk food.

"Ah, first I get to hear you play something" he said moving the bag away from me.

"Fine" I began strumming the chords on the guitar playing the melody for Iris by the Goo Goo Dolls

And I'd give up forever to touch you

'Cause I know that you feel me somehow

You're the closest to heaven that I'll ever be

And I don't wanna go home right now

And all I can taste is this moment

And all I can breathe is your life

When sooner or later it's over

I just don't wanna miss you tonight

And I don't want the world to see me

'Cause I don't think that they'd understand

When everything's made to be broken

I just want you to know who I am

And you can't fight the tears that ain't coming

Or the moment of truth in your lies

When everything feels like the movies

Yeah, you bleed just to know you're alive

And I don't want the world to see me

'Cause I don't think that they'd understand

When everything's made to be broken

I just want you to know who I am

I finished off the verse to see an ecstatic Ethan clapping. 

"Now can I get some chips" I laughed.

"Wow, you're amazing!" he smiled. 

"Thanks" I blushed placing down the guitar behind me on the table. Turning back around to face Ethan I'm meet with his lips on mine, caught off guard I hesitate eventually sinking into the kiss bringing his face closer to mine.

"I'm sorry" I said backing away realizing what I was doing.

"No need to say sorry that kiss was just as amazing as your singing" He said keeping his face close to mine.

"You don't have a boyfriend right?" he asked pressing our foreheads together. 

Simply nodding. I reconnected our lips pulling him closer to me.