Dichotomy

Baekhyun's mother was a teacher and his father worked as a modest electrician. He had an older sister, Hyoyeon, who he rarely saw in person being that she was off on a scholarship program in the States. However, distance did not stop her from skyping him in the ungodly hours of the night just to ask about school and what kind of CDs he wanted her to buy overseas. Unlike what many people on the outside thought, his family was comforting and perfectly fine. It wasn't as though his parents hated him for who he was or as if his sister was a narrow minded diva. In one household, Baekhyun often thought of them as five people under one roof that somewhat fit.

-

-

Of all the things that Baekhyun hated, it had to be physical education. Great metabolism and the occasional run around the block was all that he knew he needed to stay fit, finding no sense in complying with the ugly uniforms and taking orders from a teacher who was half the size that they should've been according to their godly chart of what was fit and what wasn't.

However, not even the power of Zeus was able to permanently pull Baekhyun out of sports. On the verge of completely failing the class for the semester, the brunet had no other choice but to start attending classes rather than to just run off during its periods and come back when another class called for him, one that didn't involve much or any physical activity at all.

Dressed in the black shorts and white tee uniform, Baekhyun stood on the side of the track near Kyungsoo as he waited for the male to finish smiling and giving encouraging bullshit advice to those who were going up for the five hundred meter sprint. As the crowd near them depleted one by one, Kyungsoo gradually moved the two of them away from the group of students, creating a moderate distance that was just enough for the two of them to talk without being overheard.

"You finally decided to come to class," the president noted as he crossed his arms and turned his head to watch the five students at the starting point getting ready to run. "Good. Your attendance has been shit and if you fail another class, you're going to have to do super great on the upcoming exams to graduate."

Baekhyun let out a soft laugh as he slumped his shoulders at the reminder of how well his high school career was going. "It's only p.e. It doesn't constitute my future."

"As sad as this shitty system is," Kyungsoo said, sparing the brunet a glance, "it kind of does."

"That's a little unfair," Baekhyun commented indifferently.

"Tell that to the people who make up the Board of Education."

Minutes passed by as the conversation between them died. If they had been alone together, more thoughts on the topic of school, government, and politics would've been thrown around the two of them. However, Baekhyun had the image of an uninterested boy to keep, and Kyungsoo had to cling onto the image of a hopeful, mature, and loving leader.

When it was Baekhyun's turn to run, the sun that had been beating at his skin had entirely dried him out of any effort that he had left. It was like a vacuum that sucked his energy and left his dry body out to fall in the orders of his gym teacher.

As he took his space on the fourth lane, he continued to stand up although his peers around him had already taken to position. With his hands covering his eyes from the sun, he casually told the teacher in charge, "I don't want to run. It's too hot."

"Stop being a drama queen, Byun, and just run," was the answer that he got.

Rolling his eyes, the brunet took his time getting to the ground. In no way did he mean to disrespect anyone when the teacher blew the whistle to run and he was barely off the ground again when the others had already taken off. It wasn't an act of defiance. It was more as though Baekhyun was persistent in his will to not run at all.