41. Dobby

When Severus woke up the next morning with Alaina in his arms he couldn't help but smile. She was lying against his bare chest with nothing but a sheet between them. He couldn't remember a time when he had felt closer to anyone. It had started on the couch last night and he had carried her all the way up the stairs, their lips never leaving each other, and they had ended up in Alaina's bed. It was uncharacteristic of both of them to be spontaneous, but it had just felt...right.

Severus watched Alaina sleep, her dark red hair sprawled out behind her. She looked so peaceful that he didn't dare wake her. He did run his index finger down her jawline. It seemed that he just wasn't content unless he was touching her. Her response was to snuggle closer to him. Again, he smiled.

The time passed slowly as he lay there beside her awake. The whole summer passed through his mind in flashes. He could hardly believe how happy he felt. It was like a page out of someone else's life. Alaina had changed everything. He realized that he loved her more than he had before if that was possible. There was only one thing left for him to do now: tell her.

Alaina's eyes fluttered open slowly. The first thing she saw was Severus's face. She grinned. "Why didn't you wake me?"

He shook his head. "You looked like you were at peace. I didn't want to steal that away."

"How long have you been awake?"

He knew it had been a good half hour or so, but he didn't want her to feel bad about it. "Only a few minutes. I was just watching you sleep."

Alaina leaned over and pressed her lips against his. "Last night was amazing. I've never felt anything like that. There was so much...passion."

Severus laughed. "More than I've ever experienced in my lifetime."

She blushed. "Severus, there is something that I want to tell you."

"Uh oh."

"It's nothing bad."

He kept a straight face. He wasn't convinced. "Alright."

She took a deep breath. "Being with you last night was the most amazing thing in the world and it made me realize something." She paused as if searching for the right words. Finally, she just blurted it out. "Severus, I'm in love with you."

He raised his eyebrows at her, surprised by her declaration. He smiled. "I'm glad that you share my feelings." She stared at him blankly. "I love you too, Alaina and I have for many months now."

Alaina smiled, as flustered by his declaration as he was by hers. "Why didn't you tell me?"

Severus sighed. "I will admit to you now that I was afraid. I was afraid if I told you how I felt that you would not feel the same and that would have left me a broken man, Alaina. I would like an answer to the same question from you."

She frowned. "I-I don't know. I think I was afraid too. I've lost everyone I've ever loved excluding Harry. I was afraid that if I told you I loved you that it would hurt more if I lost you. It's a paralyzing fear, Severus. If anything ever happened to you-"

"Nothing is going to happen to me. I'll be here by your side as long as you'll have me."

That response earned him a passionate kiss on the lips, which lead to another great adventure beneath the sheets.

~ * ~

By noon, Severus and Alaina had finally gotten out of bed, showered, and dressed themselves. Harry would be ready to come home in a few hours or so. Severus didn't really want to leave her to pick him up all by herself, but he had to go home and get some brewing done. Usually he did it little by little over summer break, but after spending so much time with Harry and Alaina, he didn't have the time. He kissed her goodbye around two in the afternoon and left her house, Alaina waving goodbye to him from the porch. She smiled wide as she watched him walk around the house. She heard a familiar pop! and she knew he was gone. She sighed dreamily. It had been a rather exciting visit for the both of them.